Alternator, wiring problem?

BiGBoY

Hi, here is my problem. I started for the first time, since many month ago, my car. The engine bulb lighted on. The Gen light lighted on but just when I rev up the motor to 2500 rpm (and its stay on). So I checked what kind of voltage I could find. I restarted it and t idle the altern. is charging at 12.5v. I gave a shoot of throttle at least to 2500rpm and the Gen light come on again with a more reasonnable charging of 14.71v at idle. When I rev it up it's around 14.75-14.80v. I checked the connection at the alternator and cleaned it although it was okay.

What could be the trouble as the engine light is on at the same time. ?? (probably not the same problem, I don't know)

I cleaned all my grounds like every spring, checked all the spark plugs, carb links, fuel links but for the wiring I don't know where to begin... I need a little help !!

:confused:

Thanks !

From the service manual.

The regulator can detect a fault within the Generator and ground the volts indicator light through a lamp driver. The indicator will light in full brilliance when there is an under or over voltage conditioning, a broken drive belt, an open or shorted field circuit, or an open regulator.

Is the indicator bright when it comes on?

Could be a diode problem as well.

I would charge the battery fully or check first to see if it is over charged.

Then I would remove the alternator and have it load tested which here in the US is free at many auto parts supply houses I believe.