Alternator & Starter 87GN

Mercury7

What do you guys recommend for replacements for Alternator, Starter for a mostly stock 87GN?

Any ones in particular to definitely stay away from??

I want to replace the original alternator with something more powerful.
And as for the starter, something also better than the original units.

Thanks in advance for thoughts, opinions & recommendations.

I recently swapped my alternator for a 96 Impala SS unit (140 amps). It bolts right in, with the minor caveat that the eyelets on the hotwire kit and battery terminal cable had to be enlarged slightly (6mm vs 8mm). The new alternator works well.

I bought a *new* unit from Advance Auto (not a rebuild). It comes with a good warranty so I'm happy. The only problem was that Advance Auto's shipping was horrible. The first unit they sent was broken during shipping (inadequate padding, shaft was jammed inside the housing). Second unit was also poorly packed, but is working fine so far. I'd recommend this alternator, but be careful about shipping!

I recently swapped my alternator for a 96 Impala SS unit (140 amps). It bolts right in, with the minor caveat that the eyelets on the hotwire kit and battery terminal cable had to be enlarged slightly (6mm vs 8mm). The new alternator works well.

I bought a *new* unit from Advance Auto (not a rebuild). It comes with a good warranty so I'm happy. The only problem was that Advance Auto's shipping was horrible. The first unit they sent was broken during shipping (inadequate padding, shaft was jammed inside the housing). Second unit was also poorly packed, but is working fine so far. I'd recommend this alternator, but be careful about shipping!
X2 on the Impala SS alternator. Drill to size the terminals for the battery and hotwire cables and it bolts right on.

Upgrade the power wire from the starter to alt as well. Most charts say number 6 or 4 even with the factory amp alt

Just to add, I did not swap the new alternator pulley to the old one, so the diameter of the new alternator might be slightly different. However, the belt (Dayco 5060630) keeps the tensioner in the correct window of operation, so I think it's fine.

The one I bought was "Remy New Alternator - 140 amps", part no. 91408. (Sorry, I can't post a link for some reason.) Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations.
Are there any suppliers making an alternator more powerful than the stock 120 Amps?
Jonasterg - did the Impala SS make that much of a difference for you with the jump up to 140 Amps?

Mercury7 - no notable difference, but I don't have anything on the car that would draw much power (stereo, etc). Just a suggestion for a relatively cheap replacement. The one that Kirban offers looks like a great solution.

Turbo Nasty - That's a nice looking piece and yes, that price for chromed to the door is real good!
Hope to get a look when you have it put on!!

Thanks to all for the advice & direction.
Original stock alternator failed, decided to go with the 200 Amp.
And thanks for the reminder to upgrade the wire to at least 8-gauge; that's an easy one to overlook.

a 140 amp alternator won't be of any benefit if you've only got 100 amps of draw at any given time.

Turbo Nasty - That's a nice looking piece and yes, that price for chromed to the door is real good!
Hope to get a look when you have it put on!!

Thanks to all for the advice & direction.
Original stock alternator failed, decided to go with the 200 Amp.
And thanks for the reminder to upgrade the wire to at least 8-gauge; that's an easy one to overlook.

#8 wont cut it

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/charge_wires.html

Thank you Turbo Nasty - I glanced over the install paperwork too quickly:
"If this alternator is a "custom built" unit producing 160 amps or higher, you must run an additional 8-gauge or thicker feed wire from the (bat) connection on the back of this alternator to a 12-volt source such as the battery itself or the starter"

And thanks for the link over to powermasters. So you recommend running a single, stronger (4-gauge) charge wire? Would you run it over to the battery or the starter? I have the mini-starter (rated 50% stronger than stock) on order from Kirban's and that's going on at the same time as the 200 amp alternator.
Thanks again to all!

I would run it to the Battery...you can run it along the AC lines to hide it. FWIW Im running #4 with my 160 I Alt.