Alternator rebuild help needed

Warp6

Mine since '92
My alt. only puts out 11 1/2 - 12 volts measured at back of alt. I'd like to repair rather than buy a new one. What parts are necessary to get the charging voltage up to where it should be? I've checked online at Advanceautoparts.com but I'm not sure exactly what I need. Thanks in advance

I just had mine rebuilt for $114.00. The parts listed for this were:

1)Stator 7805-S
2)Diode 5-2219
3)BRG (I don't know) A203-27
4) " A6000XX

These parts were from his supplier, not GM. I hope this helps you in some way.

George

make friends with someone who works at a electric motor rebuild shop-
the parts add up to around 60.00 to rebuild your alternator-

the local guy here in town sells me a BRAND NEW TAKE OFF 124 AMP alt for 50.00 --- same back half as our cars, you just need your stock front half--- about 30.00 minutes later and your good to go-

hopefully you can find the same deals in your town-

I was told my stator and diode were burnt, possibly to a bad battery at one time, and I did have a bad battery several months ago and the original alternator burnt up trying to keep up. I put in a new battery but not in time, and the damage was done. That's what I get for not driving it enough.

I heard that poohboy HP that don't spin the belt fast enough will cause the alt. to act the way your describing.

I've got a spare Alt off my TTA that has had a very fast and fullfilling life, retiring it to you car may just be the "out to pasture" lifestyle it needs in its twighlight years.

just did this test...

Charged battery 19 hrs at 10amps
Started car (cold) NOTHING electrical running
Reading at back of alt. 13.5V

Let car run for 30 minutes with EVERYTHING elec. on - A/C on high, headlights on high, all interior lights on including map lights, cooling fan on high
Back of alt reads 12.08V

Switched off everthing electrical except cooling fan
Back of alt reads 12.84V

Are these readings normal?

your alternator is not putting out enough amps to keep up with all the load-- fan, blower motor, radio, headlights, ect ect-
you add up all those amps and this is what's killing your alt-

100.00 for that 124 amp alt is a good deal--
BUT HERE IN KC ALL AUTOZONES ARE CLOSED DOWN !!! :mad:

try it out, and at the same time have them load test your battery 3 times to see if it does/does not have a bad cell in it--

HTH
bryan

I have a brand new 800CCA Megatron battery. I'd like to fix this alt I have rather than buy a new one. Is it the diode that goes bad? Stator? I've seen these parts available but not sure what I need.

I would start with the voltage regulator and that will more than likely fix your charging problems. While the alternator is apart, check the brushes for wear. Unfortunately, an AC Delco voltage regulator for the 120 Amp alternator runs about $45 and you must solder the leads to the new regulator that were on the old one.

I am also assuming that you know you must insert a pin through the case to secure the brushes until the case halves are connected and then the pin can be removed to allow the brushes to seat.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I know about the pin to hold the brushes. I've had this alt. apart a bunch for cleaning and stuff.