Alternative way to set boost ?????

buick1987gn

I'm a bad man.
I have a gm kentmore tool that has a 20 pound vacuum and 30 psi gague with a hand pump teed in to it. Could this be used to simulate boostand adjust the wastedgate rod with out having to drive it? I have a heavy duty actuator with a 14# spring, so im assuming that the actuator rod should just start to move when I pump it up to 14psi. Any ideas or thoughts or if you just wanna call me crazy. Feel free to chime in. :p

You can use it to check the "base" setting of your wastegate actuator, but if you use the stock WG solenoid or a bleeder set up you won't be able to check the actual WOT boost setting.

I use a MityVac to check the operation of mine from time to time...It's also good to check you boost gauge for accuracy and leaks....can also be used to check your fuel pressure regulator.

The stock WG solenoid bleeds boost as commanded by the computer....you can't simulate this operation....you'll just have to go for a "blast". The stock "base" setting is around 12-14 psi...the performance chips increase the pulse width modulation of the solenoid to increase the boost when you're at WOT.

Hope that made sense...

John