alt belt smoking and squealing

billygeg

My alt belt is squealing and actually smoking! The alt is brand new and the belt is brand new and its my second belt, I returned the first one thinking the belt was the problem but I get the same thing. The only thing I did prior to this was have the fan pully and the alternator bracket powder coated..Pretty sure I put everything back the way it was originally. I dont have a problem with the A/C belt...What could be wrong that is making this do this? Could it be the powder coating? The friggin alt is getting so hot that it actually starts to melt the belt and you cannot touch the front of the alt after the car is running a few minutes its so hot. I have the belt tight but if I losen it, it still squeals and bounces around like no tomorrow as if its going to bounce off the pulleys.

Think about you problem for a second. If it's smoking something isn't turning freely. Take the belt off and see which pulley won't spin easily.

Thanks I will check it tomorrow. I know the alt should spin pretty easy but how about the water pump/fan pulley? that should have alittle more resistance then the alt pulley no?
Thanks! Bill

Everything will some resistance. You’re looking for something that won’t turn at all. The crank doesn’t count.

everything spins..The A/C belt goes around the fan/water pump pulley as well and when I take the alt belt off there is no sqeal at all when the cars running. It has to be something with the alternator. Is it possible it could be the wrong pulley on it for this car? The pulleys center is almost the shape of a V...Dont know what else to think of here. Driving me nuts!

Look from the side and verify all the pulleys are lined up. If the alt is cockeyed it might cause your symptoms. Also, the above posters are right...the alt should spin freely with very little resistance. Is the alt correct for the HA motor?? I saw the pics you emailed to Mark...the one from the side is too fuzzy for me to see what's going on. Do you still have the original alt?? If you do, pull the new one and set them side by side and see if they are the same. i.e.: verify the mounting holes are the same distance from the pulley on both alternators. Try this and report back. ---Keith

I took some pics of the alt and pulleys. The alt does look lined up with the fan/water pump pulley. The way it goes on with the bracketing it would be kind of hard to screw it up unless there is something I'm not seeing. When I bought the car it had no alt. I bought this alt brand new from advanced auto. Its a power master I forget the amps 140? maybe...Anyway, I wanted to post the pics but dont know how. I see a image thing on the top above the message but when I press it all it does is click! How can I put pics on? I'm going to try something but dont know if it will work...Worst case you will have the links..
Thanks guys!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1812/8033086/22492769/379376354.jpg
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1812/8033086/22492769/379376339.jpg
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1812/8033086/22492769/379376309.jpg
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1812/8033086/22492769/379376300.jpg
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1812/8033086/22492769/379376277.jpg

To post images: click on the tab that says "attachments" (the paperclip thingy) From there, you can click "browse" and upload from your cpu or there is a place you can load from a url. Close the window when you are done uploading, click the attachments tab again, and click "insert all" or double click if there is only one image.

Back to the alt. Everything looks lined up from what I can tell...only thing I can think of now, is maybe the groove in the alt. pulley is designed for a different style of v-belt?? IDK. I don't even know if there are different types. Does the alt spin nice and free with no belt??

you might want to try a different pully on the alternator. look at how your belt sits in the water pump pully, see how its not down in the pully like your alternator is. look at my car and how the belt sits in the alterantor pully and how it sits in the water pump pully. then look at yours. thats the only thing that catches my eye

Attachments

• IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 208
Yeah I really have to check it out alittle better. Everything too me looks fine. Its driving me nuts but it has to be something. maybe I will just bring the alt back, Get another and see what happens. Thank god my wife works for advanced! That 20% goes al long way! By the way..Beautiful motor! I was looking at pics of a 87 the other day and getting down about how pretty the intercooled motors are compared to the hot airs...Pics like your make me feel alot better!

pics of alt and pullys

I think I got it now. I am unable to post pics with the quick reply link but if I post a regular reply I can do it...Atleast I think so anyway, Have to see if the pics come out. The alt spins freely. There is alittle weight to spin it because of the weight of the windings but it does spin ok. I dont believe the bearings are bad.

Attachments

• IMG_8287.JPG
    IMG_8287.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_8288.jpg
    IMG_8288.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8289.JPG
    IMG_8289.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_8290.JPG
    IMG_8290.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_8291.JPG
    IMG_8291.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 204
where can I get that nice braided oil line?

Hey boost,
Where can I get that nice braided oil line like you have on your car? The one feeding the turbo...Mine is so damb ugly and bent like someone rigged it!

Attachments

• IMG_8244.jpg
    IMG_8244.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 203
its a precision remote oil filter setup. call precision turbo. you cant go wrong with using it. it will filter all the oil unlike the factory setup that will bypass during cold start and put crap through your turbo.