Almost lost to a truck!

TulsaGN13

I was on my way home from school and in a pretty good mood since I was done with class for the day. As I pulled onto the highway on the west side of Madison, WI in my 87 GN, I goosed it a little to let the rear end slide out to the side a bit. I tend to do that when I'm in a good mood:biggrin: I got up to about 60mph and glanced over as a red dodge ram with a camper shell on it pulled up along beside me and slowed down to match my speed. As we all know this happens a lot when you drive one of these cars. I turned my eyes back toward the road without giving it much thought and then I got a large surprise from that large red truck. I heard his tires squealing and watched black smoke pour out of what appeared to be dual 4 inch exhaust as he launched past me like he had been shot out of a cannon. I was shocked! That was the first time I had ever seen a full size truck squeal the tires and launch like that from a 60mph roll.

After a few hundred feet he let off and I sped up to pull along side him again. We smiled and nodded at each other as we both slowed back down to around 50 mph. I stuck my hand out the window and counted down from three. We both nailed it and I dropped into second and pulled a quarter car length on him. He started creeping back up on me until I hit third and pulled another quarter car length on him. He immediately started slowly reeling me in and we were door to door when I hit fourth. This time we stayed door to door and ran that way up to about 125mph. We both let off and stayed side by side as we slowed back down to 65mph. We were both laughing and giving each other the thumbs up until I realized I was only 1/4 mile from my exit. I hit the brakes and slid in behind him to make my exit. I flashed my headlights at him as I pulled into the exit lane and he responded with a double tap of the brakes.

It wasn't a win or a loss for either of us, just a couple of strangers that had an unspoken mutual understanding of why we love fast cars and in this case an incredible sleeper of a truck. I mean, come on, it had a damn camper shell on it :biggrin:

Was this a pop up camper? It's amazing he was doing 125 with a camper on the back. That'll get your heart racing.

That sounded like fun!! Post the mods your Buick has so we can gey an idea of how fast that truck was!!

This is my current setup : Stock intercooler with Dutt Neck, Stock Turbo, Stock long block , LS1 MAF and Translator, 60# Mototron injectors, Red Armstrong XP Plus fuel pump, Hot wire kit, TT chip with Alky, Razor Alky kit, RJC Power Plate, RJC boost controller, Cottons Audible Knock sensor, LT1 Valve springs, 3 inch dp, 3 inch single shot exhaust, Extreme Automatics Stage 1 Trans, PTC 3,000 RPM stall, Scanmaster and Powerlogger.

I was running 24# of boost at the time, on 93 octane with the alky spraying. I also have the timing advanced a few degrees. I had another 87GN before this one and it ran low 12's. I haven't had this one to the track yet but it feels significantly faster than my first one and definitely has more go fast mods.

The next upgrade will be a larger turbo and after that will be ported heads, roller cam and then a FMIC. Also need to pick up a wide band O2 somewhere along the way.

Holy crap!:biggrin:
I woulda been busting up laughing if this happened to me.

Well after it happened yesterday evening I was in shock for awhile. I have been fortunate enough to not lose a race in this car yet and the sight of that big red truck not fading into the background was a little confusing:biggrin: So when I got home last night I spent some time researching what he could have possibly been running. I found several turbo diesel powered rams that have made it into the low 11's. I also found this video which I am pretty sure is the one I raced ;)

9 SECOND DODGE CUMMINS ON ROIDS - YouTube

I have talked to a few friends about it today and we have all been having a pretty good laugh about it. I have to admit that it was one race I will never forget.

Hey the 6265 is a good turbo too.
Won;'t spool quite as fast as a 6262, but that means your tires won;'t blow up as easily and spinnin' aint winnin' as they say....and it's capable of a little more power than the 6262

Well after it happened yesterday evening I was in shock for awhile. I have been fortunate enough to not lose a race in this car yet and the sight of that big red truck not fading into the background was a little confusing:biggrin: So when I got home last night I spent some time researching what he could have possibly been running. I found several turbo diesel powered rams that have made it into the low 11's. I also found this video which I am pretty sure is the one I raced ;)

9 SECOND DODGE CUMMINS ON ROIDS - YouTube

I have talked to a few friends about it today and we have all been having a pretty good laugh about it. I have to admit that it was one race I will never forget.

He's running really rich. There's black smoke everywhere.:p

your grounded. go to your room!

Haha, at least I didn't lose. Feel free to pitch in on a turbo upgrade:biggrin:

Just kidding, hopefully I can save enough to get everything upgraded in time for the track to open this spring. I honestly think I could have beat him with what I had, if I had a better tune on the car. Sadly the tracks close pretty early in the season in WI and I just ran out of time to dial everything in this year.

Hey the 6265 is a good turbo too.
Won;'t spool quite as fast as a 6262, but that means your tires won;'t blow up as easily and spinnin' aint winnin' as they say....and it's capable of a little more power than the 6262

That is an excellent point! Do you think a 3k stall is enough to run one?

That is an excellent point! Do you think a 3k stall is enough to run one?

You could get away with it. Getting the BB version would aid in spool up. I think 3200 would be more optimal being that you don't have ported heads. With ported heads a 3k stall would be fine without the BB version but now that I think about it with the new CEA wheels being lighter that helps spool up too, so a 3k would work but use a boost controller to help with that.

You could get away with it. Getting the BB version would aid in spool up. I think 3200 would be more optimal being that you don't have ported heads. With ported heads a 3k stall would be fine without the BB version but now that I think about it with the new CEA wheels being lighter that helps spool up too, so a 3k would work but use a boost controller to help with that.

Yup on all the above. My 6265 is the DBB billet wheeled and I went with the S cover (surge ported).
....3200-3500 is optimal but then again....in a mostly street driven car, you can actually use the slower spool as a traction control aid.
On your final point....I even removed my RFC boost controller to slow the spool for the same reason....traction control....
I give up the first 10-20 feet while I spool, and then.... release the whirlwind upon them and steel their doors....;)

I really like this story beings that I have beat up on so many "street" cars with my big ole sierra. It has an 8'' lift with 35'' mud terrains.
If I nail it from a stop it will get sideways. If I slighty power brake it, it will roast them as far as I want.

It's a 2010 with 6.2L LS3.
2yvouiv.jpg

me and a friend..
k3nprt.jpg