Almost Killed by a Squirrel

V8Assassin

100mi away ready 2 strike
I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to share it here cause I thought it was hilarious. ........

It's probably good I didn't see anything this afternoon, my expectations were dropping each hour I sat in that climber, which btw has a funny story............

I left my climber in this spot so it would be less likely to disturb anything. I get there today and jump up into it and start climbing, there is a spot between the top of one small oak and some branches from a larger one I like to get between for cover. Problem is it's about forty feet up the side of a pine, I get all the way up there and undo the seat on the stand to find it has been made a nest for one lucky squirrel. I knock the stuffing out of the way and hook it on the tree when I notice it's moving. I realize that said squirrel is at home taking a nice afternoon nap So there I am, me, the loaded rifle, and the squirrel and I am not wanting to fall out of this tree. I'm hanging there trying to figure out if I should draw my sidearm and shoot this thing point blank range or just poke it and see if it runs away when it jumps out onto the side of the tree. Anybody that has ever been in a climbing stand knows there is not much room to move around, so fliching or over reacting was not an option and at this point I don't know if this squirrel is going to go on up the tree or jump on me and chew my face off for distrubing his nap. Now there I am, me, the loaded rifle, the half drawn .45, and the squirrel staring me down eye to eye about a foot away. Luckily the squirrel scurries on up the tree and I sit down and try not to start laughing.

That is funny.. we had squirells, chipmunks, raccoons, and birds all around us, but none in the stand with us.

Imagine the story the squirrel has for his family. It would begin like "I was minding my own business then this big scary creature......".

.... "But that squirrel had already taken one nut ans was coming back for the other one. So I shot him"

LOL I was in a ground stand one year and had a rabbit come right up to me. That's about as close as I've come to having a suprise. He hopped up behind me and I didn't dare move because I thought it might be a deer. My sympathy is with you on this.:biggrin: It was nerve wracking to have to sit there until I could see what it was.

Thanksgiving morning at my dad's place this guy walked within 25 ft of my stand.

IMG_0769.jpg

Nice Al. I haven't been able to get to the stand yet this year. I'm gonna try tomorow morning but I'll have to see what happens.