Almost got me

whitehot1

I opened my front door to check if the mail had been delivered. As I was closing the door. I saw a guy walking up the street and he motioned that he wanted to ask me something. So I listened to what he had to say. And he told me his daughter's car had broken down on the highway about 6 miles away and she had her 2 daughters with her age 2 and 5 and of course it was hot out there. And he was trying to find someone that he could pay to take him to her so he could fix it for her since he knew it was just a relay for the fuel pump. I told him I was sorry but wouldn't be able to help him right then. He just walked away heading on up the street.

I kind of felt bad for a little while, mostly for the kids being stranded.

But after awhile I got to thinking. Maybe he was just making up this story to get me out of my house and into my car with him and heading in the direction he was wanting to go in.

The thing about crooks is they know what their going to do and that gives them an unfair advantage over the unsuspecting victim. I could have put myself in a bad situation if he had a gun.

Then I may not be here right now on the keyboard making this thread. :cautious:

Oh your instincts were spot on. If you are an average Joe, there is no motivation for someone walking by to happen to see you peeking outside with the intent of looking for assistance other than an opportunity to manipulate you. Even below average means folks have cell phones and can call a cab or 911 f they are truly in dire straits. It sucks the 1% have ruined it for all. I put a storm door on my front door as much for insulation as a buffer to strangers should I answer the door.

I'd have said "tell her to swap it with the headlight relay, and next time think of a better story".

You made a wise choice.

Not to think the worst of people, but more than likely while you were on the road trying to help this bean sack, his partners would be ransacking your house, knowing you had a 12 mile round trip with freeway traffic and "trying" to locate the disabled car to contend with .

If he knew enough about cars to know a relay was the problem, he probably has a 2nd running car to go help the wife. How many people in your (5 mile radius) area have 2 little kids, a wife and only one car? And besides, he doesn't have a friend or relative he could call in this situation? He's just wandering the streets looking for a stranger to help?

If he was straight up, his logic and reasoning was seriously flawed.

Not implying anything here at all, but think about it. What if you were some kind of Ted Bundy type.......... His day would have gone bad real quick, no?

As calculating a criminal as he might have been, I'm pretty certain he and his buddies never took that scenario into account..... :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
You made a wise choice.

Not to think the worst of people, but more than likely while you were on the road trying to help this bean sack, his partners would be ransacking your house, knowing you had a 12 mile round trip with freeway traffic and "trying" to locate the disabled car to contend with .

Or a whole lot worse they could have been stealing my Turbo Regal out of the garage while I was that far away from the house. :eek:

I'm satisfied I made the right decision. If it ever happens again the decision will be easier and faster for me.