All the sudden started slipping

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
Hello,
My name is Tim...and I'm a GN-aholic.

Just bought the GN early last month form the 2nd owner, and am learning as I go.
99K miles.
Done most of the spring clenaing regimen including a full trans flush and service a couple weeks back. I've also replaced the coil pack and wires, upgraded the fuel pump, hotwired it and more recently changed over to 60lb injectors and a TT chip, AFPR, and installed the ScanMaster the other day. Overything else is stock and original. Other than a knocking issue I'm trying to work out at WOT (see my post in the general section "Where's the power?", the car has run great.

Until I changed the injectors and chip, the trans had been chirping the 1st/2nd change and was firm everywhere else too. I have not been able to stay in WOT (due to KR going sky high) since changing the inj and chip so I dunno if it would still chirp after that, but it seemed capable by the power improvement. Since the flush/service I've put about 200 miles on the car. Nothing out of the ordinary was noticed with the trans at the service.

When I changed the injectors, I did disconnect the kick down cable at the throttle body in order to have more room to get the rail out. It hooked back up no problem.

Trans fluid level in park when hot and running is up to the full line. No leaks.

Last night, at the end of a 25 mile drive home, the trans all the sudden gave me a real bad slip at the shift to third while I cruised tamely up a slight incline:eek: . Today, the slip is always there at third, and is coming on in 2nd too. :mad: I really did not notice any slippage prior to this, but I guess it's possible it could have been there sooner than last night....just not apparent.

Is there an adjustment I can do?
Is there a vacuum line that might be loose or worn?
Is there anything in the chip that might be causing this (are these trans computer controlled)?
Should I add this bottle of TransX I bought on the way home...I hear it works wonders.
Does it sound like it's time for a rebuild?
How much is a performance rebuild on one of these transmissions.

Thanks.
I'm gonna go take my meds now.:cool:

Tim

Anyone?

Is there a good set of instructions for adjusting the TV cable?

Appreciate your help!

Tim

It is possible you have goobered up the TV cable adjustment when you swapped injectors.

Here is my method for adjusting it:

Car off... key off..

press tab on TV cable at the bracket near throttle body.... while the tab is depressed... the cable shroud snout (for lack of a better term) will slide back and forth..... push it back toward firewall until it retracts all the way in..... release tab.... then... by hand... rotate throttle tuntil you get to WOT.... you will notice near WOT that it gets pretty hard to rotate any further... and when you do rotate it further... you hear the cable "click....click....click" as you rotate further.... this is the proper way to adjust. Once you get to WOT.... the cable will be adjusted properly for full extension at WOT.... this will give you the firmest shifts at WOT.... any thing else will move the shiftpoints and firmness down.... and could lead to premature tranny failure.

HTH

Spoke to Tim aka MeanC on phone and during the removal of fuel rail & when the cables were put off to the side we seem to came to conclusion that the adjuster on TV cable was unadjusted.

So we walked through the steps of adjustment of tv cable and now we'll just wait and see if that was the fix

Thanks, guys.
I'm positive the TV adjustment is jimmy'd. There is slack in the cable at idle position that I assume should not be there.

I tried to adjust it last night. That tab on the side is either stronger than me or smarter than me cuz I leaned on it until my thumb hurt and it would not go in.

And aside from the slack in the cable, without depressing the tab, the slider "shroud" thing seems all loose and wobly on the cable...is that normal? It does not move back and forth, but it is loose and wobly.

Sorry for all the rooky questions, but other than a lot of wrenching on first gen Camaro's I dunno a lot. Anything newer than 1969 Camaro confuses me....so a lot about this GN is new to me.

Tim

Thanks, guys.
I'm positive the TV adjustment is jimmy'd. There is slack in the cable at idle position that I assume should not be there.

I tried to adjust it last night. That tab on the side is either stronger than me or smarter than me cuz I leaned on it until my thumb hurt and it would not go in.

And aside from the slack in the cable, without depressing the tab, the slider "shroud" thing seems all loose and wobly on the cable...is that normal? It does not move back and forth, but it is loose and wobly.

Sorry for all the rooky questions, but other than a lot of wrenching on first gen Camaro's I dunno a lot. Anything newer than 1969 Camaro confuses me....so a lot about this GN is new to me.

Tim
You can try pushing the tab in with a phillips head screw driver instead of your thumb!!:)

You have to push until your face turns :mad: .... then it should slide....you should be able to grab the snout(right where the cable exits the shroud) and pull it out...and push it in toward the firewall.... once you push it all the way in.... you should be able to manually rotate the throttle to WOT to adjust it.

How is the car Tim? Are you getting these slight issues worked out? I have the next two days off. I can try to help ya out if you need it.

How is the car Tim? Are you getting these slight issues worked out? I have the next two days off. I can try to help ya out if you need it.

Thanks, Andy.
I might take you up on that. It won't be until saturday afernoon tho.'
You could come straight through Santiago Canyon and will only be a short distance form my house once you get to El Toro and Santa Marg Pkwy. I'll send you my address off line.

I just gave the TV cable a whack.
It was still tuff to get the tab in, even with a phillips screw driver, but it moved in finally. I had to lean on it so hard that the housing for the TV was also moving towards the intake a bit.
Anyway, I pulled on the slider, and it seems that the entire cable jacket moves with it...it came out about 2 inches from the bracket face...guess this is supposed to happen? I then pushed it all the way back and released the tab.

Then rotated the throttle to WOT and heard no clicking....I was definitely at WOT. I tried it a couple more times (push in tab, pull slider out, push back in, release tab, rotate throttle to WOT), and finally on the last shot, there was a single click just before WOT.

I either got it right or maybe my TV is all out of room for adjustment and needs to be replaced. Should there by any slack in the cable? I mean...if I press down on it lightly with my finger tip, how far down should it move

Any thoughts?
I also have another suggestion from someone. after adjustment, to pull the cable alone out a little by the very end, and add a zip tie around the cable between the crimp on the clip on end that attaches to the throttle linkage. Good idea?

If I go for a test drive right now, my wife will think I'm nanners, so I'll wait till tomorrow after work...then she'll only think I'm dumb, but that's normal.:D

Tim

LOL I think Tim said he was booked solid for couple days with work, his thumb prolly looks like (fred flinstones big toe after he dropped bowling ball on it)

damn stuck button on TV cable:mad:

tomorrow was today, what happened? did you get a boost gauge yet?

I ran out of ridlin.....so my ADHD is ruling my life.
:biggrin:
What was this post about?:confused:
Oh yeah....

I adjusted the TV cable and added a little zip tie under the crimp at the end of the wire to take up remaining slack...

I took it out for a drive....only for 10 minutes, but the tranny is shifting much better now. I might add another zip tie and readjust to take up additional slack. The cable seems stretched and has not remainng room for natural adjustment. I'll also add a qt of TransX to see if it helps at all...but for now....it looks like the tranny has some life left.

I'll order a new TV cable when it's actually time to replace the tranny.

Nope....no boost gauge yet.
:redface:
I'll order one this weekend.

Trans was still slipping a little in third and seemed to be stacking shifts a bit fast at part throttle, so I pulled the TV cable out a little more by its end and added a second small tie wrap around it and under the crimp. I re-adjusted the TV and now it shifts good as new. Chirps the 1-2 shift and the rest are solid too.....also no more shift stacking.