alky users, what are your 02 #s

O2's at end of quarter mile run are 780s. Pump turn on is 15# and pump speed is 9. Static FP is 40#.

I usually tune for 780-800. You are still tuning for the same range as you would with race gas. Turn on point is 15#, I dont have an adjustable pump so I guess that means 10

I also have been having a hard time tuning with the alky.
Unless you have alot of experience it is better to tune at the track so you can get some number to compare.
To tune, you want to run as lean as you can - with as much boost as you can - without knock. That being said it may be quicker to run 810s with no knock vs 790 with knock. That's why you need track times to tune with to see what your car will allow.
Example: I thought I was running fair but I moved the turn up point up and picked up 3/10s. It seems to me that the tricky part of tunning with alky is at the 1-2 gears. When I am going WOT @ 3, I am about right.

you are right ES1 , first and second gears don't have the load and you end up being rich there while trying to set up o2's for the top of third. I have been running 2-3 more pounds boost in first and second , this seems to help.

I see some people move the boost point up then down to cure this problem.
I am so old I have a hard enough time watching the road much less all the guages & gadgets!

suburban--What timing do you run and what chip? Do you get more transitional knock with higher timing in lower gears? Also, what boost do you run? I have a 23/21* Extender chip and I seem to get too much transitional knock at kick down on the street. I was thinking of having the 23* reduced in the the lower gears to see if that helps. Any thoughts on doing this? Thanks.

I tune for knock, as I think that's the most important thing :)

My turn on is around 6-8# and pump speed is on 8. I was running O2s in the 810-820 range and was running 115mph. I then leaned it out to see what would happen. Still with 0 knock, my O2s went down to the 740-760 range and I picked up over 4mph, with a best of 119.7 a couple of months ago.

Now I'm re-tuning everything because I have a 9/11 converter and it changed everything. I now can launch like crazy on the street :) Before it was real soft with the D5 and the PT51, no boost at the line. Looking forward to hitting the track again, might even get kicked out this time :D

FWIW, I use straight denatured alcohol.

.Look Quick

I am running a lubrant 28* 110 chip all the time with no transitional knock. @ 24lbs boost. pump turn on at 9lbs

suburban--28* timing sure seems a lot with alcohol. Glad it is working for you though. Have you tried a higher turn on point? Mine is at 15# so maybe I should try a lower one. Thanks.

Originally posted by Look Quick
TTA 1387--What is your combo? What is your static FP? What boost? Thanks.
Here goes:

Thrasher 92 chip, PT51 turbo, MSD/Delphi 50# injectors, SMC alky kit, 210/205 cam, 160 thermo, ATR MAF pipe, 8" K&N, AFPR, TB coolant block off, valve cover breathers, adjustable wastegate, MSD spark plug wires, double roller timing chain, 3" SS Terry Houston Down Pipe, cat pipe, SLP 2 on the left cat-back, Art Carr shift kit, fan and torque converter lock up switches, custom Summit drive shaft loop, Walbro 340 w/hot wire kit, IRS lower control arms, J&M panhard rod, Nitto DR 245/50/16

And the newest mod being the converter.

FP is 42. Boost is 22-23#.

Thanks Rob...your car is running very well on alcohol. Have you tried a higher turn-on point?

Originally posted by Look Quick
Thanks Rob...your car is running very well on alcohol. Have you tried a higher turn-on point?
Thanks. I've tried all kinds of turn on points and pump speeds. But it always shows some knock, maybe false but nonetheless, its there. That's why I run the Thrasher with its low timing. Everything else I've tried just doesn't work. Again, it could be false but I'm playing safe. And it seems to work :) And it is a regular street chip also, so the alky is used for fuel.

I do have a new Thrasher burned with a higher injector constant that I haven't tried. This would allow me to up the fuel pressure back to 45psi like its supposed to be. Also have a Thrasher 100 for 50's that I haven't tried. I'm still playing with this Thrasher 92 chip since it really isn't designed for the 50's. Its a stock Thrasher 92 with the injector constant changed but it works.

Yeah, I'll bet it is fun trying to make something work that isn't designed for that purpose. Looks like you are doing a good job though. Hopefully the 100 Thrasher will work and then you can go faster.

O2s are very hard to tune by with alky. Best bet is to get an EGT guage and tune for EGT temps and knock, and forget the 02s

Look Quick, I mentioned the EGT, because I didn't see anyone say anything about it. That is exactly what I shoot for, 1650 w/no knock. I never have quite got it there, but I only drive the car about 1-2 times a month, and have only had it to the track once with the current setup. I was able to run right around 25-26 lbs of boost with 23* timing and finally got it up to 1640 on the last run of the night.

The EGT numbers are relative. Each set-up is different. At 1640 I would be burning up. For the record, most say about 1550. :)

ES1, where did you move your turn-on point to, and from what point? What % alcohol are you using?

You are right about using the track to tune. There is no way to tell if you are dousing the fire with the alchy until you can make a comparison. I believe that 3 tenths. A half second wouldn't suprise me either.

I'm still waiting for my SMC kit to come back from repair. Going to try aquamist nozzles, and will probabbly make it into a 2 stage..

I'll post the results next weeek some time.

The EGT numbers are relative. Each set-up is different. At 1640 I would be burning up. For the record, most say about 1550

Yea, I was wondering why, in 'this' world, guys are tuning for temps like these, whereas in 'my' world, 1450-1500 is as high as we ever want to get. The world Im referring to is the OBDII BMW M3 world, with high static 10.5 CRs, and iron block/alloy heads, and forged connecting rods, I believe. With our centifugal Vortech blower setups, we rarely boost more than, say, 11 psi, and are often not intercooled, and run water/alky injection as our safety margin. Others of us are turbocharged and intercooled, but typically are running 10 psi or less.

thanks.