Alcohol injection users......

victa1

It's now official. My 87 T has gone from daily driver to part time
driver, and now, strictly a fun car. The "local" Sunoco has been
out of 100 unleaded for the last few days, and I am sick of
having to dump Xylene in the tank. So, back to 18 psi and
94 octane, but it's just not as fun as 23 psi is.

I want to get an alky kit but what happens if the pump dies during a blast? Has anyone had a pump fail? Is it possible to
rig up an extra pump as a failsafe?

if your pump fails @ 23 lbs. of boost what do you think will happen. correct, not good. just like running w/o alky. knock, knock, knock. i gues you could rig a safety pump up but i dont kow how to do it. talk to one of the guys who makes the kits like Steve Chlupsa. He makes the SMC kit which i am going to buy when my car gets runinng right and i get more $$$. his website is www.smcenterprises.com. HTH:D

I guess its possible that the pump could suddenly lock up but I dont think it happens very often. My guess is they usually die a slow, agonizing death the same as regular fuel pumps.

Pump dies?

My experience w/ the SMC kits,[I sell and install them] has been that the pump dies when it's left to dry out or is not lubed when it's wet. [You should use a couple squirts of WD in each tankful]

The current kit has a test feature that allows you to trigger the pump prior to use. When you hit the test button w/the engine at low load, the engine will sag if the pump is working.
Also, the plumbing has been upgraded to a "solid" line design to prevent hose connection loss.
HTH,:cool:

I've seen some comments about alcohol deteriotating rubber parts. Has anyone had any problem with the rubber vaccuum tee's and couplers in the car? Seems to me boost could force it up some of those lines over time.

Pertinent & thought-provoking questions...Detailed & insightful responses...man, what a great topic/thread! :)

I have had a pump die, it was a slow death caused by some idiot putting xylene by mistake in the alky. tank. :rolleyes:

Car started to knock more and the alky. flow decreased until the pump died. I look at the scanmaster KR numbers often on the street when going WOT where possible.

Caspers audible KR detector should be able to tell you to lift and there is a problem. I think it activates a bit too high on my car but that's MHO.

I don't think you will blow a headgasket on the first pass with reduced alky. but if the line fell off at 23-25 psi. or you had no alky. in the tank I guess it's possible.

Some people do have wastegate lines break open and run ridiculous amounts of boost for a few seconds too even without alky. Ain't good but they don't always destroy there motors.

Not that that has ever happened to any of MY cars. ;)

PS: Check the alky. flow daily and prime the pump and hose assy. til it bogs the motor, always good insurance. :)

Wiked,

There's a great Group Purchase price available courtesy of SMC to TurboBuick.com...going on right now.

Don't miss out on the temporarily lowered price!

HTH :)

While you've been spending whatever on your 100 octane, I've been on alchy for over two years and my DIY system has never missed a beat. I can't understand why every TR doesn't have a alchohol injection system.:confused:

Factory Installed Water Injection

Hey, Buick was going to incorporate an H20-injection system on TRs...check the "idiot lights" on some TRs...the plastic "on" light for the injection sysyem is already there!

Has anyone used this factory dashlight provision with their water or ETOH injection system?

As far as the price of the SMC kit, if anything its TOO cheap. I have first hand experience building a controller for alcohol injection, and believe me, Steve's price is a steal. If I were selling that kit, I'd be charging at least $400.
Just my opinion...

Ummmm Eric...... shhhhh!

Hey when are ya gonna start producing the DPS units?

I need another one not sure if I want 10psi. gauge range or one for my other car. :)

Victa - nice meeting you Tuesday nite. Need more TRs at the local cruise.

Which Sunoco is out of 100? Not Ledgewood, I hope. Once the motor is broken in I hope to pump some 100 into it.....

Jim