alcohol chips

TurboBusa

huh??
hey all, i was wondering about the difference between alcohol chips and a regular chip. 2 years ago i bought this extreme extender chip for my car and been experiencing leaning problems. i don't know much about how a chip is programed. i have tried almost everything to change the causing problem and no luck. the only thing i have not done is buy an alcohol kit. i was told i didn't really need it and can play around the functions of the chip. first i will tell you my set up--- rebuild stock 3.8 30 over forged pistons, ported stock heads, 3600 stahl multi disc vigi, 65mm tb, 83# siemens, precision fm, gtq 70, custom cam by crower, 3.5ls1 maf, trns +. no alcohol installed. dual in tank pump. i think thats about it. the problem is the car leans out at the top rpm and top of the gears sometimes in the power band. off the line its strong and pulls hard then it takes a dump at around 4000 and up notice my stall. from the egt and direct scan it just goes from rich to super lean. i use 116 octane. this is all at about 25# of boost. when i drop the boost to about 16 the car runs great still and the upper rpm is still lean but not as much. my fuel system seems efficient for my set up. i have checked the the whole fuel system and is great. the second pump kicks in at 10 psi still. it's just by looking at the directscan it's rich and then it takes a dump and drops to like 500 's. and the popping starts and the car falls on it's face. i've even tried taking timing off and playing with the blm still all the results are the same. the only thing i haven't done is install an alcohol set up and use another chip besides the extreme extender. the reason i want to stay with this moded ecm is because the car runs so good on the streets. street ability is a must for me. is the alcohol chip expecting the alcohol spray and and leans it out? i would really like to solve this problem. i've been away from the car for about 1 1/2 years now because i'm in the military and stationed at another country. i can't stop thinking about the car and the problem. i have to figure this out. i was looking around and saw that they have a system now that eliminates the maf. i can't believe that this old car is still growing and getting more sufficient and faster. thank god for the turbo regal!
thanks in advance
abner

Alky chip will allow car more timing,more boost and revised fuel curve usually depending on your setup.

Call Mike Mike Licht.

Timing and fuel will be different for an Alky chip. I believe the Alky Extreme chip is called a 98 octane chip aas well. I have heard a 100 octane chip and alky chip are similar. HTH

thanx for all the replies. i hope the next time i get to my car i will be able to fix it with the current set up. if not i'm loking at this FAST program thing.

sweet six, hows that max effort set up? i heard there is no maf sensor. where can read more about this?

I have the MAF Max Effort. It is nice. Nice being able to pick different fuel curves and do some tweaking. Customer service is 2nd to none.

A regular "race" chip or "Street chip" for that matter will be very different from an "Alky" chip. Even though when you add alky under boost, the effective octane may be the same as say 104 octane...its not the same chip parms. In an alky chip, alot of PE fueling is cut out because the alky becomes a fuel so you don't need as much fuel coming out of the injectors. Usually a alky chip will have about 15-20% of the WOT PE fueling removed..... so if you were to try to use an alky chip on a non-alky setup, you would go very lean and burn things up....likewise, a non-alky chip on a alky setup will cause you to be very rich.

with 83's you should not be going lean, on DS is the injector pulsewidth dropping off? A misfire (even a rich misfire) will show lean because the O2 sensor reads the oxygen in the exhaust, not the fuel.

I think you might actually be over rich and misfiring, or have an ignition problem.

DS will also cause break-up on some cars due to ignition interference.

I think there is something else happening. Can you email me the DS file?

Bob

Make sure your TPS is going past 4.5 at WOT. I had this problem once and adjusted TPS and now it gets plenty rich on the top end. Sometimes you can just pull the floormat out from under the pedal.