Alarm Install -- Wiring diagram

chip

Hello All,
I will be attempting to install a Viper790xv this weekend in my GN. This alarm also includes the remote start feature, among other things. I installed an alarm like this (not nearly this nice or sophisticated) a few years ago in my other Buick, and seem to recall that I had a really hard time finding the wiring diagram(colors) for wires under the dash for the ACC, Starter, etc. Does anyone know this info off hand, or have a wiring sheet with wire colors hand? Also, any other problems/pitfalls I should watch out for during the install? I appreciate any help or advice that can be given. Thanks,

Chip La Clair

Hey Chip, I have a scan of the wiring list the dealer gave me when I bought my Viper last year. If you would like it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you. :)

David

David, that would be great. Sent you a PM... Any other "words of wisdom"/things to look out for from someone that has already installed a Viper in your Buick? Thanks again,

Chip La Clair

i made it easy for you heres the color codes
BUICK REGAL (RWD)78-88
WIRE COLORS LOCATION
12 VOLTS CONSTANT RED IGNITION HARNESS
IGNITION 1 PNK IGNITION HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 ORG IGNITION HARNESS
STARTER PURP IGNITION HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS BRN(+) @LIGHT SWITCH
DOMELIGHT WHT(-) @PIN SWITCH
PWR DOOR LOCK LT BLU DRV KICK PANEL
PWR DOOR UNLOCK BLK DRV KICK PANEL (TYPE A)
TRUNK RELEASE BLK(+) @RELEASE SWITCH
TACH SENSOR WHT @DISTRIB
BRAKE
WHT(+) SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
HORN
BLK(-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
FACTORY DISARM
LT GRN(-) EITHER KICK PANEL

Thanks for all the help guys. This was exactly what I was looking for...should go pretty smooth now!

I just got done installing a Viper Alarm/remote start. If you need anymore advice let me know! Remote start just doesn't start the car all the time........................... Turbo timer is a nice feature they have though, usually I only use it after a "little fun":D
Good luck.

One more quick question

Thanks all for the great info, I now have everything in (after about 8 hours and what seems like 500 solder points), but had one more quick question on the last thing to hook up, which is the keyless entry. I have found the two wires on the passenger side kickpanel that control the locks, the question is do I need to hook up the low current output from the alarm to a relay, then to the two wires (black and blue wires) in order to provide current to these wires? Or, do these two wires go to relays themselves, thus I can hook the low current output directly to them without having to put another relay in?

Oh yeah, Roc -- how do you use that turbo timer feature? Not sure if mine has it, but couldn't find any documenation on it in the manual. Thanks!

Ok, I lied...one more question. Where did you guys install the shock sensor? I have it under the dash right now, but am not sure if this is the correct place.

Chip

According to the manual, +12V from the CIG-CLK fuse goes to the 2 door lock switches, then via either the BLK or LT BLU wire to the lock relay ass'y. First, are your low current outputs a negative or a positive output? You need a positive output if you don't want to use another relay. Second, if they're positive, measure the current draw of the lock relay ass'y to see if it's less than the alarms rated output. You can measure it by taking out the 20A CIG-CLK fuse and putting a ammeter in it's place to see how much current the relay draws when you hit the lock or unlock button on the door. If it's more than the alarms rated output or the alarm has negative outputs, it looks like you'll need extra relays.

David

no need relays the low current transistor outputs from the alarms is enough to trigger the stock door lock relays

green alarm to blue
blue alarm to black

I am also about to buy an alarm for my GN and would like that turbo timer feature as well. Which ones are offered with that ? What I really want is two way paging, remote start, turbo timer...the works.

the only ones i know so far is any one the directed 2-ways and compustar

cwelk87,
The 790xv has all of the features that you want (although I am still looking into the turbo timer feature) and is a very good alarm. It has the two way paging remote, remote start, keyless entry, etc. It was also fairly easy to install, as long as you have patience and 6-8 hours along with some simple soldering skills. There is also a new model, I believe it is the 791xv that is about the same thing (different color remote I think). David and TurboV6, thanks for the info on the door lock relays!

Chip