alarm experts!

DR BOOST

Technical advisor
i want a remote starter /alarm installed in my tr.

of the commonly available ones which do u recommend? and which to avoid.

surej

Originally posted by DR BOOST
i want a remote starter /alarm installed in my tr.

of the commonly available ones which do u recommend? and which to avoid.

surej
Yes keep me posted on this ,,maybe we can get a deal on the install....I need one also..
Dennis:)

ive been installing DEI, Alpine, Audiovox, and Black Widow alarms for a few years, and DEI is probably the best overall. i personally have a Clifford RSX3.5 in my car and love it, it even has a turbo timer built in. Most places will install the alarms for free when you buy it from them. PLUS lifetime warranty on install labor and the alarm itself. DEI, definatly the way to go. check out directed.com and see what all alarm brand names are manufactured by DEI.

I've been looking for an alarm for almost a year now and asking everyone I can which ones best. Everyone I've talked to has said the same thing, DEI (ie Viper). Compustar also makes a nice one but they're kind of pricey.

True, DEI makes enough alarms to where you should be able to find something within your budget. even down to the lower end stuff like Excaliber and rattler or python.

I recently bought a Viper 790xv and installed it last month. This is by far the best alarm that I've owned, and everything that I've heard about DEI being the best appears to be true. Since I did the install myself, I was able to see all the components and could definitely tell that they were of the highest quality. The remote start works first time every time, keyless entry is flawless, and the two-way paging feature kicks a**. Now if I can just figure out how to get the turbo timer feature turned on....

Originally posted by chip
I recently bought a Viper 790xv and installed it last month. This is by far the best alarm that I've owned, and everything that I've heard about DEI being the best appears to be true. Since I did the install myself, I was able to see all the components and could definitely tell that they were of the highest quality. The remote start works first time every time, keyless entry is flawless, and the two-way paging feature kicks a**. Now if I can just figure out how to get the turbo timer feature turned on....

That is the Exact alarm I have decided on. How hard was the install? How far does the 2-way paging work in the real world?

Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5
Viper 791XV
Python 881XP

These are all the exact same alarm but just different looking remotes and the retail pricing are the same. The Clifford line suppose to the the premier line from directed electronics.

Buy from a "authorized" directed dealer for warranty issues.

Originally posted by Jarnutt
True, DEI makes enough alarms to where you should be able to find something within your budget. even down to the lower end stuff like Excaliber and rattler or python.

Excaliber is not from DEI and the Python is not one of the lower end security systems. Rattler and the Hornet is in that budget type alarm systems.

sorry about that, i dont know where excaliber came from. but as far as rattler and python, those are the lowest end ive worked with, hornet isnt even really an alarm if you ask me, that and the wasp. id compare those to those old crappy bulldog alarms that just plug into a power source and ground and work off voltage sensing.

Originally posted by Jarnutt
sorry about that, i dont know where excaliber came from. but as far as rattler and python, those are the lowest end ive worked with, hornet isnt even really an alarm if you ask me, that and the wasp. id compare those to those old crappy bulldog alarms that just plug into a power source and ground and work off voltage sensing.

Python is not the lower seriers from directed, its actually the first line that came out from dei.

The lower end seriers directed like hornet and rattler is actually the older models from directed but just with a different name on the brain. For an example a hornet 730T is a older viper 300HF.

Why the hornet isnt really an alarm? Please explain...

I had HYBRIDT install a alarm in my GN and we went with a Sidewinder 6500 ESP, which I heard was the same as a Viper 1500. It has remote start built in and Hybrid added a tilt sensor so my wheels don't get jacked.:D

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
That is the Exact alarm I have decided on. How hard was the install? How far does the 2-way paging work in the real world?

The install for mine took quite a while...probably ~12 hours or so. But, this is partially (I'm sure) due to the fact that I relocated the brain behind the rear site and had to extend all the wires to the front of the car. I also added two mercury tilt switches and a motion detection device (because I have a T-top car) and ran a battery backup and an additional siren. The wiring diagrams/etc are in thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117434 that I started, this info was invaluable. It should be noted, as TurboV6 eluded to above, if you do not buy and get a DEI system installed from an authorized dealer you void all warranties associated with the product. However, for me I wanted the install done right (all connections soldered, brain relocated) and since its a quality system it probably won't break anyway. Also, it meant the difference between a $200 and $500 system. Not sure what DEI claims, but the 2-way paging works for about ~500 feet in the real world with the antennae located on the back window, there may be better places to put it.

the standard hornet alarm doesnt come with any of the options but a shock sensor. you have to add additional options like light flash and starter kill you pay more to upgrade to the next model or two up, or even three if you consider the wasp as the first model of hornet. id consider that a load of crap, seeing how all the basic alarms, and i do mean BASIC alarms ive ever installed came with those at a minimum. the reason i say that the python is lower end, mainly is an installer issue. all clifford alarms and viper alarms come with the relay packs and resistors for the door locks on the cars that require them, the python however does NOt come with them, and does NOT come standard with the extended range antenna. i consider all expiriences from the base models, and not from upgrade capability. ANY DEI alarm can be upgraded to be indenticle ( aside from remotes) to one another.

The standard hornet is a waste of money but most of the dealers (like us) do stock most of the models. I mainly sell the 730T and the 732T which is our most popular alarm systems because of the price. The quality is still the same like the higher end systems.

The relay pack (451M) I think only comes with clifford matrix 2-way systems. And most of the time I don't use the relay pack anyways.

I still cant understand why you call the python a "lower end" system because its an installation issue. Just to let you know most of you guys don't know this but when a new model comes out from DEI its in the python models first and released first before any of the other models like viper and clifford.

by all means correct me if im wrong. theres too many DEI alarms for me to keep track of all at once, but i go by what i install on a daily basis. your resources could very well be greater than mine in that aspect, but all in all thats what this is for, is one big learning experience.

oyo boyos!

First time posted from the UK!!
I just had one of my favorite cars imported from US.
85 Hurst OLDS!!!
BUt im gonna gut her and put GN internals in her!! Sleeper ASS kicker in the UK baby!!
But right now i need an alarm too, this DEI sh1t worth it???

will it work on the olds???