Air filter info

jlbeck

Is there either an aftermarket or replacement air filter for 87 GN that does not cost the king's ransom. My car has what appears to be the original (a sealed metal box) unit. Everywhere I have looked I get an image of a paper element in various shapes which is for an 87 Regal and makes no mention of Turbo. A K&N cold air intake is $250+ and that ain't a gonna happen.:confused:

The stock replacement paper filter or replacement K&N in the box filter are not that expensive. You can get the paper ones at any parts store I got mine at NAPA.

Thanks

When I first went to check the filter condition I looked over the air cleaner cannister and could not see how it was opened. Probably on every air cleaner I ever saw it was obvious how to get it open. I did not remove the hose as I should have therefore did not see the hidden nut inside under the hose. I have replaced the dirty K&N filter with a new paper element.
:)

Thanks

When I first went to check the filter condition I looked over the air cleaner cannister and could not see how it was opened. Probably on every air cleaner I ever saw it was obvious how to get it open. I did not remove the hose as I should have therefore did not see the hidden nut inside under the hose. I have replaced the dirty K&N filter with a new paper element.
:)

you do know that you can wash, oil, and reuse a K&N pretty much forever, right?
a cleaning kit was something like $15 at a local NAPA when i bought it a few years ago, and you can wash the filter a lot of times with the kit..

Yes, I knew you could clean and re-oil a K&N but I am old school and kinda like pleated paper. I have a friend who worked many years in fuel systems development for one of the big three and he told me once that the K&N allows more air to flow simply because the holes in the element are larger. Bigger holes = more air = more dirt, and the oil is an attempt to compensate for that. If one uses too much oil however, the excess can cause premature Mass Air & O2 sensor failures, especially on turbo engines. I read somewhere recently that Porsche has told it's dealers to remove any K&N filters and replace them with OEM. Since I don't race the car the extra air flow is no benefit to me. Besides the Hastings paper filter was only $5.

Yes, I knew you could clean and re-oil a K&N but I am old school and kinda like pleated paper. I have a friend who worked many years in fuel systems development for one of the big three and he told me once that the K&N allows more air to flow simply because the holes in the element are larger. Bigger holes = more air = more dirt, and the oil is an attempt to compensate for that. If one uses too much oil however, the excess can cause premature Mass Air & O2 sensor failures, especially on turbo engines. I read somewhere recently that Porsche has told it's dealers to remove any K&N filters and replace them with OEM. Since I don't race the car the extra air flow is no benefit to me. Besides the Hastings paper filter was only $5.

So if you got one for $5 what are you asking? Since its not a race or strip/street car then who cares as long as it works?
$5 is pretty cheap tho? Sounds like some China POS for that price.
Your engine your choice. ;)

Now your looking for high performance Air filter? Seems like you want a drop in ? why is this? illegal mod in your state ? If so any autoparts store should carry it. Paper or K&N. Now if you want better all around performace. Get yourself a cone conical air filter. 3x9 air filter. Autozone and others should carry a brand spectre, cheap K&N type filter , about 20$-maybe 30$ cheaper then K&N. works just as good.