Against all better judgment.... Bought a New Project Car Tonight

USC87

While its not a carb/turbo car, it IS at least still a regal. Almost more of an impulse buy than anything else, but, I got the honey-blessing on it when she told me it was ok to buy, so now its off in the workshop.

The good: 1983 Regal Limited. The odometer reads 68,500 original miles, clean title. Back in 2004 it only had a it over 22,000 miles on it. The body on this car is as rust free as they come. Paint shines with deep gloss and sparkle. Chrome is deep and shiny. Interior has not a rip or tear *anywhere* in it, and even the deep carpet is not stained or matted down. Goes without saying, original from the tires to the radio to the floor mats spare never even on the ground. Crank window but power lock car, tilt/cruise but no rear defog, kind of a strange optioned vehicle to say the least.

So why is it a project then?

The bad: It was hit HIGH in the nose on the driver side. Pushed the core support back into the A.I.R. pump and the cooling fan. Did not hurt the a/c compressor/power steering pump/balancer/pulley/alternator. Didn't even impact the bumper at all strangely enough. Unfortunately it did put a bit of a bend in the passenger fender, so, its going to get a full front clip swap. And although initially I thought the driver's door was unaffected, after getting it in the workshop here it has a light bend inwards at the top towards/near the a-pillar.

To me, still work fixing. It is a rust free, low mileage car, clean title so on so forth. Many might say part it out but if we parted them all then eventually what is left?

Already picked up a rust free core support and pair of inner fenders before even getting the car, but, some of the other stuff, particularly a header panel with a nice grille/chrome may be harder to come by. May just take time, or may end up being a need-to-buy online type of item.

Here is at least some of the good....
front interior.jpg

back seat.jpg

That looks like my parts car. The only reason it's a parts car is the package tray area at the back is rusted through. The rest of the car is perfect.:(

I have this same car. 83 limited dark briar brown irid paint with crush dark briar gut. Power windows but no power locks and rear defrost. I have had mine since high school in 94. Can't seem to get rid of it- even sold it twice and both guys never drove it or touched it. Weird

What is the plan motivation-wise? Stocker? sleeper?

In the short term I'm going to keep it just as it is: stock, slow, and relatively boring. Appearance wise I'm going to change it up slightly but only using GM options this car did not come with. It will either get an 81-83 or 84-87 header panel depending what I can get for a relatively cheap price. I have sets of most gm factory wheel options for this era so I'll pick something out from amongst those, probably a 14x7 rallye off a couple year earlier car. I have in mind the wheels from the somerset regals/earlier sport coupes that I think would compliment the brown paint nicely.

Then, once it is up and running around doing its thing I'm going to figure out what to do for a drivetrain a year or two down the line. As of right now it would be a toss-up between a turbo drivetrain or a buick 350, may come down to what I can get ahold of first for it.

I have an 83 T-type T-Top runner that is that color, complete, that I would sell for parts. Front is good, no good bumpers or fillers. Runs great, , no smoke, quiet and turbo spools nicely. Saved from crusher, but no title and I am tired of fighting the State of Ohio over the value of this thing. PM or email me if interested. Eric