Aftermarket carb

The best option is a Holly Q-jet replacement but if you have puter controls you will have to replace the distributor and add an MSD 6al with a boost/retard box to keep detonation down.

I'm looking for an aftermarket carb for my 80 sport coupe. Anyone have any experience or opinion on this?

Is it a Duel-jet or Q-Jet? Turbo or non-turbo? (Turbos do limit your choices).

1980 Regals just used an HEI distributor so the carb is'nt electronic. Your options are not limited like the later Regals.

Holley carbs are known for there simplicity. They could match one up for you easy if one uses the standard Chevy intake for Rochester carbs. Any after market Q-jet would work, (Summit makes them, Edelbrock does too). The best after-market non-electronic HP Q-Jet to me is the Edelbrock.

Any GM oem Q-jet would work also, (the linkage is the only consideration to make). OEM's are my personal favorite.:biggrin:

Well the situation i'm in is this. I have an 80 sport coupe that is a fresh rebuild. Maybe 50 miles on it. It's a project I started about 8 years ago when i was 18. Like alot of people life got in the way with a new house and marriage. I haven't worked on the car for a few years since i didn't have any place to do it. Now I have my 1200 sq foot shop and i'm ready to get back to it. I got a remanufactured carb for it years ago but i've never got the car to run right. After checking out some posts I saw that the carb number for a stock turbo regal Quadrajet didn't match mine. And maybe that's why she ain't runnin right. The motor is the stock 231 turbo, rebuilt turbo, new hei distributor and the msd boost timing controller. I like quadrajets but i've never had much luck tinkering with them. I would like something fairly easy to work on. Oh also, if anyone has an extra roof rail trim piece, i'm looking for one. Thanks.

Q-jets are very easy to mess with, you just need to do some reading. It's the best of all if you understand them. If you got a rebuilt one from someone else and not the original one that's probibly the issue. Most rebuilders opperate on a "fast as you can" mentality so you don't get a quality product. I've discovered this from installing several of them and having problems with them.

Doesn't there have to be something special about the turbo carbs? Don't the jets need vacuum so the boost doesn't blow them out?

Doesn't there have to be something special about the turbo carbs? Don't the jets need vacuum so the boost doesn't blow them out?

Yes. This limits your choices. There are no after-market bolt-on carbs for a turbo Buick. It either has to be an oem turbo specific Q-jet, a modified Q-jet or a modified Holley.

One can modify any Q-jet to work with a turbo application but it requires knowledge, (and you've already wrote that you don't have much luck tinkering with them).

That's were the Holley may be of some use. There is a thread on this forum about the Holley and how to modify it for turbo applications. Run a search on the B4-Black forum for Holley carbs and you should be able to find it. Holley carbs are known for there simplicity so you may find that thread useful. Good luck!