After i boost i smell gas!!

Ron Coleman

I have this problem for about 3 years and i want to fix it once and for all!! :eek:
I can't find where the smell is coming from :confused:
I thought it was the fuel vapor canister because i removed it but i relocated the hose down below. I have checked the rubber fuel lines by the tank and the power steering pump but nothing. anybody have any ideas??

P.S I have a keyed gas cap that i use, can that be the problem?, causing pressure?

PLEASE HELP!

I smelled gas all the time after I removed the vapor canister. I wasn't comfortable with it so I put it back in.

I dont have the canister anymore i threw it away :mad:
i just cant beleive that much of a gas smell is coming from the canister ,guess i have to get a canister!

thanks

Not so fast. Other guys remove their canister and don't notice a smell. Perhaps there's a reason ours smells bad. I was too lazy and saw little value in researching. Just put it back on. Maybe you can put a check valce on it and connect it to a vacuum source. Just a thought. :confused:

Do you have alky? I used to smell it after WOT, and I found the nozzle was leaking on the outside of the up-pipe and spraying on my hot ass engine. The design doesnt really allow the nozzle to seal well. I pulled it apart and red-loctite'd the whole thing. No more gas smell.
Sure you dont have any exhaust leaks? Mine smelled like gas all the time. First day i had the car and drove it to work, my eyes were literally watering and I was choking on the fumes, coughing my ass off. First I found my crossover was leaking. Fixed that then found my EGR gasket was leaking. Fixed that and then found my driver side header was cracked. Threw a new one on there, then found the turbo collector gasket was leaking. Fixed that and I think I finally have the exhaust leaks under check....except the catback thats full of holes. But I can live with that. :(

thanks guys
i have alky but it's only installed about a month, ive had this fuel problem for about a year :frown: I Can't Figure It OUT :confused: !!!!!!!
I will look at the exhaust leak i have at the downpipe conecting to the muffler!
stupid question, but is it normal for heavy gas fumes to go through the exhaust at wot?

thanks again

Ron Coleman said:
is it normal for heavy gas fumes to go through the exhaust at wot?

thanks again
The exhaust is where the gas fumes go. ;)
Do you have any form of cat converter/test pipe/catback? It sounds like you're running the downpipe straight to the muffler. If your exhaust is venting right under the car, that could be what you're smelling. Do you burn oil? Have any oil leaking off a breather down your valve cover, and eventually onto a header?