Advise requested

LawDog

Is it safe to run an approximately 1/2" spacer on the rear of a 10 second 125-130mph quarter GN. I have the 3" studs (with GTA wheels). Just wondering what the cut off is when talking spacer size, speed and safety.
Thanks.

I have run 123 mph-mid 11s with 1/2 spacers and longer wheel studs. Didn't have a problem at all.

I had 1/2" spacers with Moser studs and broke 4 of 5 driver's side ones on a street launch.

I would only recommend the billet, bolt-on style from somewhere like Vette Brakes:

13767M.jpg

The others, especially over 1/4", put too much shear force on the base of the stud and can break. I think anything over 1/4" is not legal for NHRA or IHRA.

Jim

Eh...I dunno, I don't have much experience, but hearing "wheel spacers" and "ten second car" doesn't exactly go together for me. I'd really try to find a better option, especially with a car that fast.

DeltaT said:
I had 1/2" spacers with Moser studs and broke 4 of 5 driver's side ones on a street launch.

I would only recommend the billet, bolt-on style from somewhere like Vette Brakes:

13767M.jpg

The others, especially over 1/4", put too much shear force on the base of the stud and can break. I think anything over 1/4" is not legal for NHRA or IHRA.

Jim

I would never use anything like that again
I almost lost a wheel with them as the studs ripped rite off
So I pulled all the studs and drilled the holes just a little bigger
And used 3 inch studs from the axle through the spacer and onto the wheel
It never gave me any problems after that. I had 16” iroc wheels. With out the spacer they didn’t fit.
Anyway good luck with how ever you go.

I've used spacers in the past with no problems. I would re torque the spacer on a regular basis. Every other week or so should work......

Re: spacers

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. And in that case I need two GTA style wheels (non-dimple) for a GBODYPARTS 16*10 transformation. Fronts or backs are ok and I'm not to concerned with the edges as long as the centers are good. Reasonable please.