Advice on telescope

87NAT

In Between GN's
I recently moved out of the city into the country. I finally have the chance to see some planets and stars without the bright city lights. I am very unfamilair with telescopes...whats good, whats bad, which brand, what extras or features, etc... Any advice would be appreciated. Looking to spend around $300 or so.

Ed

You probably already know the "Big 2" are Meade and Celestron :). Given how much the pricing has dropped in the last few years I wouldn't consider not getting a computer controlled scope - it saves all the agony of learning celestial navigation and does the tracking for you so whatever you are looking at stays in view. Not finding what you want to look at has to be the #1 reason people give up on amateur astronomy, so make it easy on yourself. Besides, the resale value will be better if you do decide to move on to a different hobby. Yes, bigger is better for aperture, but also consider a refractor vs. reflector. Do you want sharp images of the planets or maximum light gathering? It's a little over your price limit but Celestron has recently come out with a 5" Maksutov-Cassegrain, the Nextstar 127 SLT, computer controlled with two eyepieces, and 3-4 vendors are selling it on ebay for under $480 shipped. I really, really want one for Christmas :). Small enough to be easily portable (will go in a suitcase), good light gathering power, good optics, computer controlled - dang it, I'm talking myself into it :). Seriously, both Celestron and Meady have 5" Schmidt-Cass scopes but they are $100-200 more than this one, and this one is a decent step up over the under $300 models. Go to www.meade.com and Celestron Telescopes, Telescope Accessories, Telescopes by Celestron and browse, then go to ebay and price shop. There are other brands but I'd stick with these two at first, until you better understand what the tradeoffs might be.

You probably already know the "Big 2" are Meade and Celestron :). Given how much the pricing has dropped in the last few years I wouldn't consider not getting a computer controlled scope - it saves all the agony of learning celestial navigation and does the tracking for you so whatever you are looking at stays in view. Not finding what you want to look at has to be the #1 reason people give up on amateur astronomy, so make it easy on yourself. Besides, the resale value will be better if you do decide to move on to a different hobby. Yes, bigger is better for aperture, but also consider a refractor vs. reflector. Do you want sharp images of the planets or maximum light gathering? It's a little over your price limit but Celestron has recently come out with a 5" Maksutov-Cassegrain, the Nextstar 127 SLT, computer controlled with two eyepieces, and 3-4 vendors are selling it on ebay for under $480 shipped. I really, really want one for Christmas :). Small enough to be easily portable (will go in a suitcase), good light gathering power, good optics, computer controlled - dang it, I'm talking myself into it :). Seriously, both Celestron and Meady have 5" Schmidt-Cass scopes but they are $100-200 more than this one, and this one is a decent step up over the under $300 models. Go to Meade Instruments - Telescopes, Solar Telescopes, Telescope Accessories, Telescopes by Meade and Celestron Telescopes, Telescope Accessories, Telescopes by Celestron and browse, then go to ebay and price shop. There are other brands but I'd stick with these two at first, until you better understand what the tradeoffs might be.

Thanks for taking time and writing such an informative post for me. I really appreciate. I will let you know which one I decide on.

Ed

I want pictures of the neighbors wife in the shower Ed
lickit.gif

if you have a droid, or simular...get google sky...coolest app ever....point your phone at a star or whatever,and it tells you what exactly your looking at.

if you have a droid, or simular...get google sky...coolest app ever....point your phone at a star or whatever,and it tells you what exactly your looking at.

Can I point that app at my neighbors hot wife? :D
I always wondered what that app does on my DROID.

I want pictures of the neighbors wife in the shower Ed
lickit.gif

I dont think an accuasation like this belongs on this family oriented board sir. I never have nor ever will use an enhanced optical instrument to spy on an unsuspecting girl/woman. Please retract that statement.

P.S.-Send me a PM with your email so I can forward you the nudie pics.:D

I dont think an accuasation like this belongs on this family oriented board sir. I never have nor ever will use an enhanced optical instrument to spy on an unsuspecting girl/woman. Please retract that statement.

P.S.-Send me a PM with your email so I can forward you the nudie pics.:D

The thing that most disturbs me about you post is you called me sir :eek::biggrin:

I bought a DS 2130 by meade with autostar and it is a pretty good telescope. Telescopes.com has the best deals from what I found, the the first one I got from them has a bad mount so I called them and they sent me a new one and sent me the postage to send the old one back. Seem to be a great company to deal with. The telescope has computer tracking and is somewhat easy to use. It only cost me $274. You will want to get a Barlow lens though.

My two boys 10 and 6YO love it. You can see Jupiter and its moons. Haven't seen Saturn yet and don't want to look at the neighbors wife either. Old and wrinkly BLAH:eek:

I bought a DS 2130 by meade with autostar and it is a pretty good telescope. Telescopes.com has the best deals from what I found, the the first one I got from them has a bad mount so I called them and they sent me a new one and sent me the postage to send the old one back. Seem to be a great company to deal with. The telescope has computer tracking and is somewhat easy to use. It only cost me $274. You will want to get a Barlow lens though.

My two boys 10 and 6YO love it. You can see Jupiter and its moons. Haven't seen Saturn yet and don't want to look at the neighbors wife either. Old and wrinkly BLAH:eek:

Thanks for the input. My wife is getting me one for Christmas. I hope she spends as much on me as she does on shoes and purses.:rolleyes: