Advice on crank & rods... 4.1L S2??

NCTURBOS

Gettin' back in action!!
Staff member
Putting together a 4.1L S2 here soon, not for me though... :(

We have a virgin block, but need a crank and rods. Thoughts from the experts on using the imported crank/rods, or should we spend the coin on new Oliver (or similar) rods and a new billet crank? Or find some used BMS parts?

All the machining and short block assembly will be handled by one of the known experts, we just haven't contacted anyone yet.

The car will be a full weight "street car" with all accessories, but would be nice to run consistent low 9's with the wick turned up.

TIA,

K.

Not a professional engine builder but just one comment: a 9.20 at 3800 lbs total with driver needs 950ish average rwhp or well over 1000 at the flywheel.

Not a professional engine builder but just one comment: a 9.20 at 3800 lbs total with driver needs 950ish average rwhp or well over 1000 at the flywheel.

Good point!! Yes, we completely understand that, and that is the main reason for the post. We don't want to use parts that can't handle that kind of HP/TQ. Money isn't really a problem with this build... BUT we still want to keep track of what is spent.

Knowing the HP/TQ needed for this kind of performance would usually rule out the imported parts, but look at what the TSM guys are doing with them... :confused:

K.

Stay away from the China stuff for the Stage car. If you are concerned about $$$ then go for the Eagle crank. Louie Lopez went low 9s with an Eagle crank in his Stage motor.

Try and stay away from used rods, you don't know how much abuse are on them.

If it were my motor, I would put all the best stuff in the short block knowing that it can handle whatever I throw at it and not have to worry about it. If your friend wants to turn it up really high, the motor is build for it.

Just my opinion.

Oh BTW, on-center or off?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I'll throw out my opinion and see what happens. First of all let me say that Dan Strezo is having good luck with the BA cranks and K1 rods he's used in some TSM engines so maybe he can chime in.

As far as your Stage II motor is concerned if it was me I'd use the best internal parts you can afford due to the fact that the blocks are very scarce in any reasonable condition.

It can be difficult to find really good used cranks and rods. A New billet crank from Crower will set you back north of $2500 and a set of rods is probably $1200. It's your money to spend, your budget will have to dictate what parts you use.

Neal

The block is a virgin off-center. There's not really a budget on the build-up, but we obviously don't want to over-spend on unnecessary parts. With that said we don't want any inferior parts either.

Thanks,

K.

There's not really a budget on the build-up, but we obviously don't want to over-spend on unnecessary parts. With that said we don't want any inferior parts either.

Thanks,

K.

So if there is no budget, then get all the good billet stuff.

What isn't necessarry???? You need a crank, rods, pistons. :p

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I have new 6.500 olivers $950.00 , new moldex 3.565 crank $2000.00 ,
New JE pistons 4.000 bore $500.00 , or used 4.000 bore $250.00.
Also have lots of used rods various brands and sizes $350 to $500.00.
New moldex 3.590 cranks on order. Let me know if I can help. Mike:cool:

Mike is the MAN! :)

Wish I had more money to play with, I would call you! :)

Now you know where to get crank and rods! :)

Rick,

No one in the South West has more Stage II stuff than you do. I don't think you need any more. :biggrin:

Neal

Neal...

Come on... you know as well as I, you can never have too much :)

Even if you run out of room, true friends and family will store stuff for you :)

LOL :)

Hope all is well! (will see ya this weekend) :)

I've been using the same moldex in the last two engines. Great crank. The Olivers in the latest engine have saved my arse a few times now through my tuning escapades. After blowing rods enough times, you start looking for the best. My opinion of the extra expense is 'cheap insurance'. Mike has a good deal going there.