Advice on buying this GN

Hard to say without personal inspection and drive. Needs paint, radiator, headliner and some TLC under the hood, assuming he's not lying about the surface rust. 7k isn't out of the question, IMO. I'd go look, drive and wave some cash at him, see if he's flexible.

Well, the car is not very close to me.... So going to look at it first isn't much of an option... Anyone live close to Piscataway New Jersey???

Break it down by how much the repairs are going to cost:

Paint: $2,000
Radiator $200
Power steering pump $50
Headliner $100
Exhaust $300
A/C $500

You're looking at 10k for a 90k mile Astroroof GN that may or may not have been taken care of. You can probably find a cleaner example for that price. However, if you don't HAVE 10k and can only afford a fixer upper, it APPEARS that this car is an excellent candidate. Astroroof is rare, so the value is up a little. Unmolested cars are nice, you're not fixing someone else's troubles. With the help of this board, the other board and GNType, you can do most of the fixer work yourself and save some cash. I bought a car sight unseen once and regretted it severely. Do NOT commit to buying a car on Ebay unless you're willing to renig and accept the negative feedback. I don't know how close that guy is to Mease Performance or Ron's Custom Auto, but I'd offer the guy $100 or so to take it over there for a lookover. Ron's probably your best bet.

I live 4 miles from Piscataway and was planning to go check out the car anyway, I'll let you know what I think. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can give you a better idea of what it looks like in person.

-Jade

Very cool! I'd appreciate it... He has his phone number on the ebay listing for you to call him and make arrangments... Let me know what you find out :)

Thanks again.

-Justin

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Break it down by how much the repairs are going to cost:

Paint: $2,000
Radiator $200
Power steering pump $50
Headliner $100
Exhaust $300
A/C $500

You forgot to add in wheels, those are awful.
IMO 7k IS out of the question. 6k isn't.

Sorry it's so late but I just got back from looking at the car and running some errands. I'd also like to state that I am not a GN expert and my mechanical knowledge does not even begin to compare to many of the members of this board. Do not take my words as fact, just take them as those of an average person who has seen the car in person. I only spent 30 minutes or so looking at the car; I would've taken more but I had appointments to keep so my take on the car is most likely not complete.

The ad the seller has on eBay is very accurate in regards to the actual condition of the car. It will need a new exhaust (the one on the car is rotted and leaks, some radiator work (the leak is small but it is there), cruise control will need to be fixed, A/C needs to be fixed as well, probably a new power steering pump (it's very noisy, new hood emblems, and possibly some new paint and wheels. There are a decent number of scrathes on the car but with the exception of the passanger's quarter they aren't too bad. The paint on the car does still shine pretty well and I'm sure if you put some effort into waxing it the car would look pretty nice. I didn't care for the wheels personally and didn't think they were in that great of shape but they aren't horrible either (I didn't do a real thorough examination on them). The bumper fillers front and back look to be in really decent shape, still soft and resilient. The plastic trim surrounds for the headlights will need to be repainted. The rust on the bottom of the doors is minor and there don't appear to be any holes, just some surface rust. The driver's side upper door hinge has been replaced and there is some rust in the door jamb but once again it does not look like anything major. The car has its flaws but looks pretty nice from 15-20 ft.

The interior is in excellent shape. The only negative I picked up on was that the headliner material covering the astroroof sliding panel is starting to detach. The asroroof seems to work very well. The windows also work very well and seem to move faster than many others I've seen. The door panels look very nice and the pulls are intact and tight. Upholstery looks nice all the way around and shows very little wear. Steering wheel is very nice as well, no rips or cracks that I saw. The car has a digital dash, twilight sentinel, and the UX1 radio with the graphic eqalizer and concert sound. Gauges seem to work well from what I saw (turbo light comes on ;) ). The interior in this car overall is very nice.

The engine compartment needs a little more work than I was expecting. There is a good amount of surface rust. Some time spent with a wire brush and some cans of paint would most likely fix most of these issues though.

I completely forgot to look in the trunk, sorry about that one.

Checked out the window sticker, this car has a good number of options and sold for ~$19,000 new.

Took it for a quick spin around the block. Powermaster breaks are very strong and had no problem stopping the car or holding boost. I can't say how many pounds as the car is totally stock and has no mods (read: boost gauge). Front end is nice and tight (much better than others I have driven) and seems right in line. Body rolls and bounces a little more than it should as car could probably use shocks/springs. Car pulls pretty well from what I saw but we were in a residential area only and I didn't get a chance to really get on it. Not sure how it would behave on the highway. I did the the trans was a little soft, not sure if there is an issue developing there or if I was just expecting something faster and more aggressive (sorry for my inexperience here, I'm really not sure what a stock GN tranny should shift like). The sterring is fine but the pump is quite noisy and should probably be replaced. I thought the ride of the car was nice and it certainly was fun to drive.

Overall I thought the car was a good solid foundation to build a really nice street car. It appears to be almost completely stock to me with the normal exceptions. Still not quite sure why the owner is selling it when he just got it, but I guess everyone has their reasons and priorities. Once again though I need to stress that I am not an expert and my experience with TRs is limited to the 8 or so that I have looked at in my search for one and the knowledge I have gained from the internet and books. I have only driven 5 or 6 of these cars and none were pristine examples so my basis for comparison is somewhat limited. I am not trying to steer you one way or another just to let you know what I thought. I'd hate to think that my advice got you a car that turned out to not be what you wanted or kept you from buying the one that is right for you. Just take what I have said for what it is worth. Oh, and please excuse me for compensating for my inexperience with my verbosity.

-Jade

If there is anything else I can do to help let me know.

Hey Jade, I will thank you first for him:) You are a true assett to the TR community. Good job man!

Originally posted by striker_29
Hey Jade, I will thank you first for him:) You are a true assett to the TR community. Good job man!

Thanks for the kind words striker, they are appreciated.

Not sure if it was you or not Justin, but I just noticed that the car was sold on eBay. Someone paid the buy it now price. If that was you congrats, if not, good luck finding the one for you (I'll keep my eyes open while I look for mine ;) ).

-Jade

Well,

One way or another, you may have just help sell it. :) Car sounded like it needed some TLC, but doesn't sound too ragged on either.

It never ceases to amaze me how people on this board will go out of their way in a heartbeat to help total strangers on this board. It is very much appreciated.

If we see Justin come in here, we'll know by the :D or :mad: if he got it or not.

BTW, you kept referring to the fact that you're not an expert in mechanics... that said, it sounds like you did a thorough, well thought out look over of the car in the 30 mins spent. Good job.

Well... it's about 4am and I just woke up :) Someone did the buy it now on Ebay and it WAS NOT me.... Jade you did a very nice job looking this car over for me, but I guess I was a little too late to put in a bid... I figured by the time I would have financed this car, paid taxes, and got it home I would have had probably well over 8k in it, which exceeds my 7k limit anyways. I never heard back from my bank today anyways so I guess it wasn't meant to be. If whoever bought it is reading this, good luck to you! And THANKS A LOT JADE for your efforts!!!! They do not go unappreciated, believe me :)

There is an 87 National here in my town that someone owns. I looked at it last year and it's a very solid car. It shows 53k mileage and the owner could not tell me for sure if it was actually 153k or not. I know they've had a lot of underneath work done to it. The car looks great all the way around and very clean everywhere. I think the motor is pretty much stock. Carfax report shows that the car is actually 153k miles. And was stolen at one time. They are asking 10 grand for the car but don't know that it's actually 153k miles and that it was stolen. I'm going to talk to them more this weekend, hopefully I can talk them down to 7k... We'll see though. The car could definitely pass as having only 53k miles though...

-Justin

Thanks again jade!!!!!!!!!!