Advanced Engine Theory and Design

Come on now. I'm a mechanic. I have no use for a periodic table. I'm searching my high school memory banks now. Hmmm. The way you used it in the sentence. Hmmm. Gold nugget? In a toilet? Ok. You made me get the dictionary out. I was right! Gold? :confused:

I found the book and you're right. Mucho moola. Is it really worth it? How technical does it get? How many pages?

The F1 book is about as tech plus an example as I've ever seen. If you can get in touch with a "Half Price" book store you may have some luck. Number of pages ='s 168.
Gary

Donnie,

I just got my copy of "Formula One, The Turbo Era" from Midlife Classic Cars at 4233 Carol Ann Drive in Charlotte, NC. 704-598-5113. $25 + shipping. They have more copies! (call them)

This is a great book with lots of pictures of turbo formula one engines! There is food for thought here. Thanks for turning me on to it.

Conrad

ps...I have several potential layouts for our cars. I'm going to attempt to organize my thoughts and put them all down on paper. Will share with you soon.

After you get bored with the pictures, if you ever do, read the content. It is very good reading. Glad you like it.

You'll notice a very good example of the turbo inlet system right on the cover of the book. Is it cool or what!

I have been brainstorming the same idea. I just bought a set of custom headers that face the turbo forward. The inlet and outlet will be striaght pipes for good flow. There isnt alot of good testing done for inet flow with an air filter,I too need to have one. I was thinking of using a naca duct but they need to be placed on a curved area that has moving air. The hood on my car is flat where they would need to be placed. With this design I would house flat filters in box that would mate to the bottom of the hood when closed.

If that doent work it will be a cone style in a tube tight to the grille. How do you calculate flow and volume for the tubes with the filter.
I will look for the book also.

I have been brainstorming the same idea. I just bought a set of custom headers that face the turbo forward. The inlet and outlet will be striaght pipes for good flow. There isnt alot of good testing done for inet flow with an air filter,I too need to have one. I was thinking of using a naca duct but they need to be placed on a curved area that has moving air. The hood on my car is flat where they would need to be placed. With this design I would house flat filters in box that would mate to the bottom of the hood when closed.

If that doent work it will be a cone style in a tube tight to the grille. How do you calculate flow and volume for the tubes with the filter.
I will look for the book also.
First, figure out the cfm of airflow that will be required to support your target HP level. Next, select a tubing size that will flow that cfm while keeping the velocity of the airflow through the tube under 300 feet per second. Maybe even less. 240 ft/sec.

Velocity = airfow rate/area of section.

There is a formula, but I don't know how to write it out in this media. I'm sure someone could come up with a chart that relates pipe diameter to flow rate (cfm) at a desireable velocity (less than 300 ft/sec).

I do know that for a HP level of around 1,000 HP, you will need a piping diameter of around 4" diameter as long as the length is reasonable. If the length is to be long, or a high number of bends are involved, you may want to increase the diameter accordingly to counteract any flow losses because of the extra length and bends.

A naca duct may not be useful in a drag racing situation, since the duct relies on such a high velocity of airflow over the duct for it to be effective.