ADJ Wastegate and Electronic Boost Controller question

1987BuickGrandN

I have a regular stock style adjustable wastegate not the "heavy duty" adjustable wastegate.

If i decide to go with an electronic boost controller to replace the factory wastegate silenoid (controlled by the ECU) where do i set my adjustable wastegate rod???

as long as it will go (less boost) open

or

as short as it will go (more boost) closed

Thanks,

Bryan

You'll have to experiment with the rod... u don't want it too long or too short. For your setup, it seems like an electronic boost controller would be a waste of money. There really not neccesary unless you race all the time. I'd put the money towards something else and just run an in car bleeder valve. Just set the wastegate actuator to about 15psi at WOT and u can fine tune it from the drivers seat. Works great for me, and cheap

even up to 25psi??

im curious to know the best setting on the adjustable wastegate for an electronic boost controller

perhaps it would do me good to know how an adjustable wastegate works

im looking at the blitz sbc ID

along with excellent electronic boost control it gives me the ability to monitor 3 ecu outputs

"This boost controller has the ability to display any electronic output from the vehicle ECU (SBC Optional Harness required). It can display almost any voltage output from the computer (i.e.: TPS, temperature, pressure, A/F, injector pulse and etc.). DATA 1-3 readings can also be recorded and replayed."

A scanmaster tells you all that including knock retard an 02 Milivolts. If you get a high boost actuator it will work up to 25. Buti have a stock style and could crank 25 psi out if i wanted to with the turn of a knob. You might have to bore out the wastegate hole on the exhaust housing to get everything to work right. My car would overboost until i hogged the wasegate hole out to almost the size of the puck on the 3" THDP. Search the threads.... and decide for urself. I don't know ur entire combo but an electronic boost controller isn't a neccesity.

You talk about turning up the boost, but there are no mods listed for the car. Make sure you have a high volume fuel pump, and better injectors than stock before you start to push the boost past what the stock boost control will allow. And the stock turbo isn't really good for 25 psi, so that's another factor. It will peak out at about 22 psi, so I've been told. If you want an eletronic boost control, there are others much cheaper than the ricer models, from Ramchargers, for example.