Add me to the thrust bearing failures!

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
At 100 miles or so I crawled underneath looking for oil leak and you could here a faint tap-tap-tap. 25# oil psi hot @ idle and 45-50# cruising @ 50-55 mph. Can't see the crank walking. My machinist listened to it today and said to check it and it shouldn't have more than .009.
If it does he'll be eating it as he set the crank and billet caps so it would be correct :(
I can pull the crank back and forth with the flexplate if I snatch it. If I pry it back/forth it looks like it is moving more than .009 I cut open the filter and it has no bearing material but the oil in it has golden particles in it. God I don't wanna pull this f---er back out!

Damn that sucks dude......was hoping you would have that thing ready for some track time by the time I get back from the current assignment. Not so sure I wanna go digging into Ol Gray's engine now.....lol.

not necessarily the machine shops fault, it could be in the converter, been there done that.

sux azz

I'm gonna drop the pan this weekend to check it out. Machinist daid he didn't think it was the thrust he couldn't see the walk when you rev the engine a little.
How would the converter caused it? Hasn't been beat on. Limited to 10# boost after 50 miles(0# before). I have low z injectors with unmodded computer so it has had no wot blasts longer than 2 or 3 sec. And the conv has about 1/4" space from flywheel.
I was gonna drive it to Renyolds......but. :mad:

Damn man; sorry to hear this.

I am getting ready to fire a fresh engine and I have had a zillion issues. Seems like everything I checked was off by a bit and required a re-do at the machine shop :frown:

Let us know how it all works out.

I hope so,as long as I have been working on this thing,taking my time,researching and making sure everything is done right and then this. :(
Almost makes me wanna sell. :confused:

ITSAV6 said:
I hope so,as long as I have been working on this thing,taking my time,researching and making sure everything is done right and then this. :(
Almost makes me wanna sell. :confused:
I hear you loud and clear brother!! Check out my thread " bad thrust bearing after 370 miles" . Sounds real familiar unfortunately. :mad:

Silver 'T' Top said:
I hear you loud and clear brother!! Check out my thread " bad thrust bearing after 370 miles" . Sounds real familiar unfortunately. :mad:

Luckily my friend and I have a complete hot air motor and he has an extra set of ported heads to throw on it. Were gonna throw it in there so I can drive it. I'll see how much cool air it can take. :wink:

Trans shift slip in drive !!!!!!!!!

( trans hesitates when i take in from park, to drive.) it takes a few seconds to go into gear. I noticed when i shifted to drive to OVERDRIVE if would make a sneeze noise then quit. REVERSE hits hard when i put it in gear.All other gears works fine. I HELD SOME SOME BOOST 10PSI. LAUNCHED AND( SLIPS) FEELS LIKE THE WHEELS ARE HOPPING . OR LIKE I RUN OVER SOMETHING. COULD MY TORQUE CONVERTER BE GOING BAD OR WHAT. STAGE 2 TRANNY WITH THE BEST PARTS AND A VIGALANTIE TORQUE CONVERTER 3500 STALL. ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took cut open filter to machinist.

He said pull it out and bring him the short block and he'll disassemble it and vat it to get all the particles out and put an oversize thrust bearing and machine the crank for it.
It has Clevite main bearings. Believe I'll go with FM or King now. He uses King bearings in a lot of race motors.
On the subject of converters causing this.... I have a PTS 9X11 and have 1/4" of space between the flex plate and the converter and haven't been over 10# of boost and haven't brake stalled any boost either.

ITSAV6 said:
On the subject of converters causing this.... I have a PTS 9X11 and have 1/4" of space between the flex plate and the converter and haven't been over 10# of boost and haven't brake stalled any boost either.
From what I've been reading about the converter issues, it does not seem to matter (to an extent) how much clearance you have when its just sitting there, seems to be how much force you have behind it( line pressure?) when its up and running. Correct? Mine had at least a 1/4" clearance also, so what EXACTLY causes these things to do this??????????? :confused:

ITSAV6 said:
He said pull it out and bring him the short block and he'll disassemble it and vat it to get all the particles out and put an oversize thrust bearing and machine the crank for it.
It has Clevite main bearings. Believe I'll go with FM or King now. He uses King bearings in a lot of race motors.
"It has Clevite main bearings." There's the problem. Put the FMs in there, being anul regarding seating for endplay, then continue checking via the "filter pour" method. No need to take back to the shop. There's probably a lot of guys out there toasting their crank thrust surfaces with Clevites and not aware of it. Be thankful you were diligent enough to catch the problem early.

????

Silver 'T' Top said:
From what I've been reading about the converter issues, it does not seem to matter (to an extent) how much clearance you have when its just sitting there, seems to be how much force you have behind it( line pressure?) when its up and running. Correct? Mine had at least a 1/4" clearance also, so what EXACTLY causes these things to do this??????????? :confused:
If that's every PTS tranny user should eat thrust bearings. Mine has 300# line pressure at full throttle.

(quote):"It has Clevite main bearings." There's the problem. Put the FMs in there, being anul regarding seating for endplay, then continue checking via the "filter pour" method. No need to take back to the shop. There's probably a lot of guys out there toasting their crank thrust surfaces with Clevites and not aware of it. Be thankful you were diligent enough to catch the problem early.(quote)

I am afraid of the particles all in the engine hurting the other bearings,turbo,oil pump,etc. He is gonna disassemble the short block and revat the block,triple check the thrust surface and put an oversize thrust in it if needed.

TurboGN said:
"It has Clevite main bearings." There's the problem. Put the FMs in there, being anul regarding seating for endplay, then continue checking via the "filter pour" method. No need to take back to the shop. There's probably a lot of guys out there toasting their crank thrust surfaces with Clevites and not aware of it. Be thankful you were diligent enough to catch the problem early.

what's up with the Clevite bearings?

TurboGN said:

I don't know if I would go around saying that. Grooms uses Clevite 77 main bearings in their engines and I haven't heard of anyone toasting a Thrust Bearing with one of their engines. Hell, they are in my Level 3 block now. It's amazing how a person(s) can make a mistake and give a product a bad name.