ACCUFAB VS KIRBANS FUEL REGULATOR

Accufab vs Kirbans fuel regulator

• ACCUFAB - $149

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • KIRBAN BILLET - $120

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
Put the fuel rails in today

Still waiting on some 4 AN fittings for an under hood fuel pressure gauge. The braided line to my hood mounted fuel pressure gauge comes up about 3” short,
so making a new one of those.

Once the fuel regulator gets here it should be a wrap

64F21DAA-CAF0-47CE-8B08-8348BA671260.jpeg
B3211966-642B-4136-880B-C38B9797CF04.jpeg

I heard the Kirban diaphram tends to go out under high fuel pressures. Anybody experienced that? I have the older good Accufab that I was planning to "upgrade" to the Kirban one...

I should have the regulator today and put it in
Don’t think I’m going to take the car out yet it’s already hitting 107 degrees here

Too damn hot for no ac

image.jpg
Well if a five minute job installing a fuel regulator didn’t turn into a damn goat screw , then I don’t know what to think....

*Throw it on
*Prime fuel system
* One small leak on rear fuel rail fitting ..tighten good
* Drink a beer watch fuel press gauge... no drop

Go to start... no fire

Have 40 psi fuel pressure at rail
Had the old lady turn it over ..had strong spark ( purple spark,, first time I saw a purple spark)

Injector fuse blown .. up oh
Replace , blows again
Re seat all 6 injector connectors
New fuse, no start fuse good.

Start poking around main injector connector on the back of the intake.

See a red wire with shrink wrap and a glob of solder in it going to no where .. just hanging out in space

Check the connector and see an orange wire with a black stripe going no where as well. Of course there is about 1/4 “ of wire out of the connector where it looks like a solder repair was done.

Yes I bought this harness used at least 10 years ago . It’s served me well but has had a couple surprises like this.

Anyway, now I have to resolder over the rear of the intake with zero room. Got it done in about 10 minutes while being harassed by the old lady

*Reconnect injector connector
* fires right up
* drink beer
* total time for regulator install- 4 hrs

Regulator looks great

View attachment 322440Well if a five minute job installing a fuel regulator didn’t turn into a damn goat screw , then I don’t know what to think....

*Throw it on
*Prime fuel system
* One small leak on rear fuel rail fitting ..tighten good
* Drink a beer watch fuel press gauge... no drop

Go to start... no fire

Have 40 psi fuel pressure at rail
Had the old lady turn it over ..had strong spark ( purple spark,, first time I saw a purple spark)

Injector fuse blown .. up oh
Replace , blows again
Re seat all 6 injector connectors
New fuse, no start fuse good.

Start poking around main injector connector on the back of the intake.

See a red wire with shrink wrap and a glob of solder in it going to no where .. just hanging out in space

Check the connector and see an orange wire with a black stripe going no where as well. Of course there is about 1/4 “ of wire out of the connector where it looks like a solder repair was done.

Yes I bought this harness used at least 10 years ago . It’s served me well but has had a couple surprises like this.

Anyway, now I have to resolder over the rear of the intake with zero room. Got it done in about 10 minutes while being harassed by the old lady

*Reconnect injector connector
* fires right up
* drink beer
* total time for regulator install- 4 hrs

Regulator looks great
I'ld keep an eye on that vacuum line going to the regulator. The braided line will rub a hole through it in no time flat.

So I had a Kirban on my car and couldn’t get fuel pressure below 40 line off. (Twin 340s in tank, -8 feed,-6 return) So I bought a Accufab figuring it would be better. Nope. Same issue. Backed the adjuster all the way out on both units won’t go below 40 line off and I’m looking for 36-38 at idle with 120# injectors. So tonight I finally took it for a hard blast and cruising home after my fuel pressure was at 25 or so cruising. Anyone ever had a regulator ‘loosen up’ or ‘break in’. I adjusted it up to 36 line on and parked it. I’ll be interested to see how it is next time I drive it.

If the return line is blocked to any degree it will shoot up and stay.

I had 60psi. at idle for a week until I cleared the crap out of the return line junction from steel to rubber under the power steering pump area.

Doubtful it was either regulator causing the issue.

Still works older then dirt

Attachments

• 20150401_142159.jpg
    20150401_142159.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 73
And my spare..lol

Attachments

• 20140616_200438.jpg
    20140616_200438.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
As far as actually working....I think both work fine. The issue I had with the Accufab was in reading a log. The graph was so erratic, it was hard to follow...esp on a Powerlogger. The Kirban's was much smoother.
I did run my Accufab when I had a smaller turbo at 27-30psi, and my Kirban is on my big HP engine which is 23-24psi. I cannot comment about either failing at high pressures.

Exactly, the fp readings were practically useless.