Accessory lights and radio are dead

drewmah

Has anyone had their courtesy lights, dome light, and radio just go dead. Can't find any bad wires and only one bad fuse that is the courtesy light, radio, dome light, plus accessories. Keeps blowing that fuse. Stumped because I can't find what is shorted and blowing that fuse. ??????? Thanks. Drew

I believfe that fuse also controls the power door locks. Check the wiring inside the doors. Sometimes the wiring gets chewed up by the window regulators. Mine did that many years ago.

x2 like aminga said, i just replaced my cig lighter after looking for the reason my fuse was blowing everytime for a week, what happens is sometimes the small tabs inside the lighter socket get pressed open that cause them to make contact with the socket wall inside causing it to short out so when u stick something in there it will do just that

It seems to me that a dead short in the underhood light will do it too. I know that that will kill the security system.

Not that I have any experience with it but if you say accidentally put the wire to the hood light between the brake booster and the firewall as you reinstall it.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post. Thanks especially to Aminga. You saved me a lot of time man. I was pulling and replacing the ACC 20 amp fuse because my Chilton manual showed the lighter to be on that fuse. It wasn't. I pulled the lighter and tried both fuses again and everything worked. You have had this problem too haven't you?? Thanks for the help guys. Drew

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post. Thanks especially to Aminga. You saved me a lot of time man. I was pulling and replacing the ACC 20 amp fuse because my Chilton manual showed the lighter to be on that fuse. It wasn't. I pulled the lighter and tried both fuses again and everything worked. You have had this problem too haven't you?? Thanks for the help guys. Drew

I learn from screwing things up and I've learned A LOT

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I'm having nearly the same problem.

I have no courtesy lights, no power locks, no radio, no passenger side window, no glove-box light, no power to trunk popper in the glovebox.

Checked fuses, they all seem okay.

Is there a harness where all these things connect? I did a lot of wire removal after removing the A/C. Any pictures or descriptions would be appreciated! Tried tracing the wires, but keep coming up empty handed.

its frustrating i had the same problem for over a year i triple checked evrything twice a day fuses wires grounds seemed ok i switched cig lighter because it was bad an kept shorting out but still no interior light so the following day i switched the two tan 5 amp fuses put in another headlight switch made sure all wires and connectors were plugged in properly snugged up fuse box and checked ground under the console and an hr later after doing and checking all that i did everything funtioned again i wish i could pin point what exactly did it but not sure just keep on checking fuses wires grounds and ull find the culprit goodluck hope this helps in ur search

A very common short is the shift indicator light, under the console. The wire breaks from the constant movement and shorts to floor or shifter bracket. That seems like a lot of things not working and all the fuses still being good.

Accessory Problems

Check the lighter and see if it works. If not, take it out and get a new assembly (not just the lighter part) and install it. Mine shorted out and grounded on the receptacle metal on the dash. Which blows the fuse for the accessories. I have an 87 Type T and the fuse box lettering doesn't match what is real. The accessory lights in my car along with everything you posted went out and was on the lighter fuse not the accessory fuse. Hope this helps. Drew :)