Accelerating on its own Help!!

SHEPP2

Hi, lately my 87 gn has been idling high but now its accelerating on its on. I did a complete stop an as I got off of the brake it slowly accelerated to 37 mph on its own? I've tried resetting the computer as well as bumping the accelerator a few times hoping to unstick still nothing. When driving I notice if I was doing say 35mph it would stay 35 or up to 36? Any idea's??? Thanks.... Is it the TPS sensor?

That' s not good!!

Do you have any scantool data? What's the rpm at idle? Is the floor mat stuck ip under the pedal?

Your car is trying to tell you that you drive to slow...

Never heard this one before. Would be interesting to see what a ScanMaster might have to say.

~JM~

Sorry for the late reply. I have a scanmaster and I will post the reading this even. You might be right I do drive carefully slow. Last night I did open her up and this morning it idle high for a moment and then it drop down to (rpm) I think 970 but at first cold start 1220!! Not sure will see this even after work. I will say this Saturday I did put on my Ls1 maf and translator as well as turning my fuel regulator up to 44psi which may have got air in the line. Took it down the street seemed well drove it a little more and notice it was smoking and running rich. So I took it off and put back on my factory maf back on then unplug the orange wire to reset as well as the chip. When I started the engine I notice my fuel gauge was up at 50psi turned it down and the rest of the story is at the top of the page.....Thanks will post scanmaster number this even.....

Your engine is pulling extra air into it at idle from somewhere. 3 possible things:

Throttle blade is sticking open (many pssibilities)
Bad IAC as JDPOLZIN stated.
BAD vac leak. Could be a top end gasket somewhere or it could be EGR valve issue. Could also be vac brake booster related or just a hose off somewhere.

Throttle blade should be easy to tell just by playing with the throttle under the hood with the engine off. TPS voltage at idle would be off if it is.