AC oil leak source...

im4darush

My AC compressor has oil all over the underside of the compressor. Not motor oil...this looks like a clear type oil. I realize that the compressor itself may be leaking, or the lines at the back. I tried looking at the lines from under but hard to tell. I think they are dry. Question is....the AC was charged just before I started using it and I have heard some say that it will leak if under too much pressure. Does this make any sense, or is it time for the compressor to go? AC blows ice cold for now. And do any of these stop-leak products they sell actually work? Or all snake oil?

If it was me I would wipe it all down and then drive it without the ac on and then check it. If there isn't any oil I would drive it around again with the ac on and then check. If it is the ac then I would just wait for it to fail. I wouldn't put any of that stop leak/snake oil in it. I have never heard of anyone having any luck with the stop leak. How long have you had this car and did you have someone work on the ac?

It does not leak when the AC is off. I tested that already. When the AC is on it leaks pretty good. I'm not talking just a bit of oil on the bottom of the compressor. It drips down pretty good. Have not had the car long at all. Just bought it and the previous owner charged up the AC as it was not blowing ice cold. This was done about a month ago. Works great, compressor is quiet but I realize its just a matter of time. Was just wondering if I can try something to remedy, pull it off now not to damage other parts (if that is possible) or like you say...just use it until it runs out. I also assume if the oil is leaking, so is the R12.

Can you see exactly where it is coming out at? At this time of the year I would wait over the winter and see what it does over the winter. I am betting it is the main seal at the shaft. I know it (the seal) can be replaced but a new compressor is probably going to be in your future. Auto Zone has them for $209.

First off, is it R-12 or R-134? Second, does it have dye in the oil to show where it's may be leaking? If no dye then add some and get a black light so you can see where it's leaking.

First off clean everything with either brake cleaner or carb cleaner.

Second, put some UV dye in it and let it run a little under pressure, but not long.

Third, use the UV light and see where it's leaking from and report back.:biggrin:

It is a common problem for the older A-4 compressors to leak at the back plate between the case.

The second and third generation compressors were redesigned, and were not usually subject to this issue.