AC issue

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
So, i am finally getting around to hooking up my A/C. I got a new compressor/accumulator/orifice several years ago, but never got around to hooking it all up. Now i have it all hooked up, flushed the system (not the compressor), and put a vacuum (at 29 in-hg) on the system for over 12 hours to ensure that all moisture was evacuated. the system held that vacuum for at least 30 minutes before i started charging it.

so i'm starting with a completely empty system with approx 29 in hg vacuum. I have put 1x 12 Oz can of r134 (10oz freon/ 2 oz oil), and the high/low sides settled at 85 PSI. My problem is that the compressor isnt kicking on. I have verified that ive got 12 V on both pins of the low side pressure switch, and even tried jumping the pins on that connector to verify that isnt the problem. I also replaced the AC compressor relay. I'm not sure how to the High pressure switch works since it has 3 pins and is too fancy for me to figure out. i did verify that it at least has power going to it...

I dont have any power going to the connector for the compressor clutch. i did run direct power to the clutch while the car was off and verified that the clutch does in fact engage if it has power. Is 85 PSI enough on the high side to activate the compressor clutch? what else should i test?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Jeff

doing some reading i see that i dont have the high pressure switch that goes on the compressor, it still has the high pressure pop-off...maybe this would cause the compressor clutch to not engage...

surely some ac guru has the answer...

Yep,that means you have a wire that has yet to be hooked up,hanging at the back of the AC compressor.

yeah i couldnt figure out where where that thing was supposed to go (did i mention its been apart several years...). so i get to take this all back apart, yay...:(

you need more than 24psi on the low side switch on the drier
install 1 can and oil ,
ac selector on , blower fan on high , rpm 1200 .. having a large fan blowing across the grill can help
have your next can hooked up ready to go
jump the rubbery connector to the switch on the drier (low side) with a paperclip and the compressor should cycle
if your compressor wont engage with the low side jumped check the clutch cutoff relay on pass fender and ,

open the charge hose valve and feed it vapor then liquid back and forth watching that the pressure doesnt go too high on the low side trying to and dont feed it liquid for more than a few seconds at a time
by the third can you should be able to reconnect the low side switch and feed refrigerant in at a rate that keeps the swich closed and the compressor cycling

which compressor switch should i get? i dont know what color the original compressor had on it, since i never had the original compressor...

well i installed the compressor switch and still nothing. bout the only thing that i havent replaced is the high side switch... any other ideas?

the high pressure switch with three wires (green ones) is a fan control switch that turns the fan on

you said you replaced the ac clutch solenoid but you never verified it works
did you check the connector for power ( the coil side of the relay ) and the ground for the coil side (ecm provides ground when ac is requested and the ac flag can be seen on a scanner or powerlogger)
and verify 12v in and 12v out for the clutch power when activated ?

you can have 12 v everywhere but without ground none of it works

no, i ended up selling the car before i got it fixed.

however, I think my problem was with the controlls in the car. the settings didnt really work right and i think it wasnt activating the ac