AC Help

deenasty

Hey folks. I have read up the most I can using the search feature, but I’m a still a bit unsure. The 87 GN has been converted to R134. The compressor will not come on, unless it’s jumped (wired from battery to green wire at the compressor.) I checked the system pressure at the accumulator and my gauge showed “Warning, 100+psi”. I released some pressure, and it seems it’s all air, no Freon. I do notice that the AC relay continues to “click.” Any hell would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to harbor freights and buy an AC gauge kit. Then look up a 134R system pressure chart. If your gonna empty the system replace the dryer and put a new Orifice tube in. Use a can of 134r with dye so it will be easier to check for leaks. Also if the system is emptied your gonna have to vacuum down the system to get the moisture out. A can with a gauge on it is not gonna get it done!

Go to harbor freights and buy an AC gauge kit. Then look up a 134R system pressure chart. If your gonna empty the system replace the dryer and put a new Orifice tube in. Use a can of 134r with dye so it will be easier to check for leaks. Also if the system is emptied your gonna have to vacuum down the system to get the moisture out. A can with a gauge on it is not gonna get it done!

Why do you suggest to replace the Orifice tube and the dryer?

Since you have the system open anyway and the parts are so cheap and easy to get, it make good sense to replace them.

If you care about original looks, Kirban sell a painted black dryer.

If not NAPA sells the dryer.

The dryer is basically a filter in that can holds all the old oil since it can’t be cleaned just replace cheap! The orafice tube has a screen on it! If any particles have gone through your system it will be stuck on this little screen!

You should see all the trash that mine caught. Glad I changed it.

Attachments

• orfice tube.jpg
    orfice tube.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 74
The dryer is basically a filter in that can holds all the old oil since it can’t be cleaned just replace cheap! The orafice tube has a screen on it! If any particles have gone through your system it will be stuck on this little screen!

I will replace it! The accumulator/drier looks relatively new.

Well not really a "filter". It has "pellets" that remove and hold any moisture.

It does hold the oil though

Low pressure switch X2. 100+ psi is normal with compressor off on the low side.

I'd do it right. if the system is open, new dryer accumulator and office tube, I think it was $25 for both. Don't gorget to put a few oz of oil in the accumulator dryer before buttoning the system up. Get a cheap vacuum pump, $55 on line. AC gauges $55. Apply vacuum to the system, turn off the pump and walk away. 30 minutes later the system should still be holding vacuum, if not you have a leak. Then vacuum the system for at least 30 min. This boils out any moisture.

Put in some r134 and let the system and let the vacuum in the system suck it in Start the car, jump the low pressure switch, AC on and add the r134. After a couple of small cans remove the jumper and connect to the low pressure switch which is adjustable. Add R134 as necessary. You need a temperature/pressure chart. DO NOT OVER SERVICE. The air will start getting hot again.

I just did mine and yesterday I was out in 95 deg., Sun blazing through the T Top and the air was way too cold. After 5 minutes I had to turn the temp up quite a bit. My 2 year old white VW took 15 minutes just to begin to get comfortable.

Okay take it from a guy who has done many car AC renew projects.I have been in the ac business for over 40 years however not automotive take some advice
1-Dont buy a rebuilt compressor it will be just a matter of time you will be back doing it again Buy new NAPA or DELCO
2-nothing wrong with converting to 134A it will work fine see below
3- while fitting is open on compressor backfeed cleaner solvent through condenser and evaporator to flush out coils use the entire can
4- after doing the take compressed air about 20-30 psi and blow out coils lines while disconnected it will blow oil out also so be careful.this should be done with orifice tube and accumulator removed .It is preferred to use nitrogen but compressed air will work
5-replace o-rings and put some ac oil on them add 3 oz of oil to the compressor if not prefilled most are prefilled however
6-install new orifice tube and accumulator .Remember these cars are 30 years old and that thing has desiccant in it .IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED PERIOD ! if you dont you will have whats called non condensibles no matter how long you run a vacuum it wont work
7- pull a vacuum down to as close to 30 inches of vacuum for at least 30 minutes .I do it for 30 minutes close gauges and check in a couple hours later to make sure they have not moved then run for 15 more minutes .
8- charge and when charging make sure you purge the yellow hose other wise it is full of moist air purge the hose open gauges to about 80 psi before starting .I bypass the low pressure swith start it and finish charging with low pressure bypassed
9- if done right it will cool for years as good as new look up pressure temp chart for 134A

Okay take it from a guy who has done many car AC renew projects.I have been in the ac business for over 40 years however not automotive take some advice
1-Dont buy a rebuilt compressor it will be just a matter of time you will be back doing it again Buy new NAPA or DELCO
2-nothing wrong with converting to 134A it will work fine see below
3- while fitting is open on compressor backfeed cleaner solvent through condenser and evaporator to flush out coils use the entire can
4- after doing the take compressed air about 20-30 psi and blow out coils lines while disconnected it will blow oil out also so be careful.this should be done with orifice tube and accumulator removed .It is preferred to use nitrogen but compressed air will work
5-replace o-rings and put some ac oil on them add 3 oz of oil to the compressor if not prefilled most are prefilled however
6-install new orifice tube and accumulator .Remember these cars are 30 years old and that thing has desiccant in it .IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED PERIOD ! if you dont you will have whats called non condensibles no matter how long you run a vacuum it wont work
7- pull a vacuum down to as close to 30 inches of vacuum for at least 30 minutes .I do it for 30 minutes close gauges and check in a couple hours later to make sure they have not moved then run for 15 more minutes .
8- charge and when charging make sure you purge the yellow hose other wise it is full of moist air purge the hose open gauges to about 80 psi before starting .I bypass the low pressure swith start it and finish charging with low pressure bypassed
9- if done right it will cool for years as good as new look up pressure temp chart for 134A
+1