AC-Delco radiator with wrong trans cooler fittings

87GN_70GS

Has anyone else run into this? I bought a new stock replacement radiator from AC-Delco p/n 20269. I found that the fittings for the new transmission cooler are wrong. Original OEM fittings are 1/4" NPT. This is where the 90 degree adapters screw in that adapt the 5/16" flare trans lines to 1/4" NPT for the OEM cooler. The new radiator I bought was made with 5/16" flare fittings for the cooler. And guess what? They don't make a 90-degree 5/16"-flare-to-5/16"-flare adapter. :mad:

I have not specifically seen this, but something like this is on my radar in my current research. I have a more general approach that GM and AC-Delco have no concern that a replacement part is exactly like the original. Only that it is functionally the same. Look how the coilpaks today both OEM and aftermarket vary in appearance from the original 20 years ago.

It is because of this that I have been researching just getting a new core installed to my existing end tanks by either Arizona GN or my local radiator shop. Thanks for sharing.

Those are the correct fittings and adapters. To make them work you will need to remove the brace/shield from the AC condensor. This is the brace where the 2 AC lines pass through the radiator support area. Once it is removed than there will be room for the tranny lines over in that area. I've got the Delco radiator in my GN and this is how I fixed the problem. Make sure you put some sealant on those fittings. It's a PITA to get to if they start leaking.

I forgot this earlier...

Has anyone tried to find the 5/16 fitting at McMaster-Carr , the industrial supply house? McMaster-Carr
I can't think of any hardware type item that they don't have. If it is made, they have it has been my experience.

Scott,

Curiosity got the better of me. YES, McMaster-Carr has the fitting you need.

part # 50635K523
Brass 45 Degree Flared Tube Fitting 90 Degree Elbow for 5/16" Tube OD
In stock
Quantity Each
1-9 Each $5.15
10 or more 3.81

Do a search for flared tube fittings and you'll see every combination possible is available. The biggest hurdle is knowing where to look.

Has anyone else run into this? I bought a new stock replacement radiator from AC-Delco p/n 20269. I found that the fittings for the new transmission cooler are wrong. Original OEM fittings are 1/4" NPT. This is where the 90 degree adapters screw in that adapt the 5/16" flare trans lines to 1/4" NPT for the OEM cooler. The new radiator I bought was made with 5/16" flare fittings for the cooler. And guess what? They don't make a 90-degree 5/16"-flare-to-5/16"-flare adapter. :mad:

Yeah- I bought the AC-DILDO replacement radiator because the aftermarket one($100 less) was made in Brazil. Guess where the genuine GM part was made? YEP- Brazil. Probably the same plant. I searched for a month for 90 degree adapters(45's wouldn't clear) because the $hit they included would have run the hoses through the AC evaporator. I ended up machining/brazing my own adapter together out of available brass fittings. Good thing I had a lathe available. Pain in the a$$!!:mad:

Rodman, who sold the aftermarket version also made in Brazil? Just more info for my files.

My AC-Delco box also had aftermarket part numbers on it as well, it was either SPI CU683 or Visteon 8683

Anthony, those are awful close, but the flare inside the cooler fittings and inside the OEM couplers goes the opposite way. I think it is actually called inverted flare. The illustration on page 160 of the mcmaster carr e-catalog shows this a little better. The "nut" they show should be one with external threads in our applicaiton.

I searched for a month for 90 degree adapters(45's wouldn't clear) because the $hit they included would have run the hoses through the AC evaporator.

You guys like to work hard. Hey I work smart. Quit screwing around and just remove the bracket. No need to spend extra money and waste time cobbling it up. I've done the hard work already. Just remove the bracket so those lines clear. What?:confused: You guys into concours correct restorations or something? Take a look at the upper inlet hose. It aint original looking anymore.

Scott, thanks for verifying this for all to see. I was hoping someone with the new radiator would take a few minutes to investigate further if that fitting would work. Now that I know it is an inverted flare, that could be a problem without doing what Eric (Turbofish38) had described. And with Eric's background, the procedure he described is probably the best solution when using the new replacement Delco radiator available today.

Thanks again for the associated part #'s. Good to know.

Looks like I might just stick with my original plan and have the end tank assemblies put on a new core.

Quit screwing around and just remove the bracket

I don't understand. If you try to attach the cooler lines to the radiator as is, they will stick straight out the front of the car, hitting the condensor.

Oops nevermind, I see what you are getting at.

Rodman, who sold the aftermarket version also made in Brazil? Just more info for my files.

I checked with Jennings Chevrolet in Chicago on the radiator first, as they had sold me a pile of NOS GN parts in the past. He had the aftermarket radiator in stock then(we're talking three years ago), and had to order the OEM piece. I can't remember the guy's name I was dealing with up there, but he was always really helpful.

I thought the adapters in the stock radiator were right angle 1/8" NPT to 5/16" inverted flare pipe?

I bought an aftermarket radiator years ago with the wrong fittings in it and had to make and braze an adapter fitting to get the stock stuff to work right.

It wasn't easy.

Here's a couple of pics. In pic 1 you can see the brass adapter and the stock 90 fitting with the stock lines. Pic 2 is the bracket you will removing. I'm thinking what Delco did was stuff a bigger tranny cooler in there which is the reason for the larger fittings.No need to buy anything extra.

Attachments

• Radiator-2.jpg
    Radiator-2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Radiator-3.jpg
    Radiator-3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 322
If you remove the bracket then the adapter would be a 5/16" flared male to 1/8" NPT female right? :confused:

In order to use the stock right angle fitting into it. :confused:

Anyone got the part number for that exact part? :)

Actually they just stuffed the wrong tranny cooler/fitting in there. :p

If you remove the bracket then the adapter would be a 5/16" flared male to 1/8" NPT female right? :confused:

In order to use the stock right angle fitting into it. :confused:

Anyone got the part number for that exact part? :)

Actually they just stuffed the wrong tranny cooler/fitting in there. :p

No, you will need 5/16" inverted flare -to- 5/16' inverted flare. Good luck, let us know if you find one :)