AC/Defrost issue

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Recently put all of the AC components back on my car. Two issues so far, looking for help on.

1. Only defrost is working. Air only blows out under the windshield, no where else regardless of where the control switch is positioned. I remember reading about a vacuum line somewhere that controls where the air goes, but can't seem to find that thread right now.

2. AC clutch is not engaging. Could be because of problem #1???

I replaced the orifice tube and the accumulator/drier and reinstalled the compressor and lines.

Recently put all of the AC components back on my car. Two issues so far, looking for help on.

1. Only defrost is working. Air only blows out under the windshield, no where else regardless of where the control switch is positioned. I remember reading about a vacuum line somewhere that controls where the air goes, but can't seem to find that thread right now.

2. AC clutch is not engaging. Could be because of problem #1???

I replaced the orifice tube and the accumulator/drier and reinstalled the compressor and lines.
vaccum default or lack of is defrost check CHECK VALVE driver side

When you put things back on did you fully charge the system John?

Thanks for the reply Charlie,

I was unable to get the AC compressor clutch to engage after one can went in and pressure was pretty high, so I didn't add the 2nd or 3rd can. That is with the AC set on MAX. It is a manual control panel for the HVAC, not digital.

It was originally a hot air car, I converted to LC2. When I did the conversion I didn't need AC, so there are no vacuum lines going to the firewall except for the boost gauge now. After doing additional reading/searching on the defrost check valve it sounds like i need to run a vacuum line to the passenger side of the firewall and connect to a fitting/checkvalve somewhere in order to supply vacuum to the HVAC components. No idea what that looks like.

Once that is done I should be able to switch where the air comes out, then move on to figuring out why the AC clutch is not engaging. Then I should be able to fully charge the system.

When you do A/C work you have to be very anal John. The system needs to be under vacuum for at least 1 hour before charging. From what I understand you just bolted things on and added refrigerant. Now you'll need to take the whole thing apart and start from scratch. Everything must be so clean that you can eat off it, then vacuum it out, then charge it. If you're still in SA do you feel like driving up to do it right?

When you do A/C work you have to be very anal John. The system needs to be under vacuum for at least 1 hour before charging. From what I understand you just bolted things on and added refrigerant. Now you'll need to take the whole thing apart and start from scratch. Everything must be so clean that you can eat off it, then vacuum it out, then charge it. If you're still in SA do you feel like driving up to do it right?

I would be delighted to have your help Charlie. PM on the way.