AC cut off going up hill, normal?

rcantu

we had super hot weather in so cal yesterday (93 degrees) and when i was cruising on a incline the ac cut off on me but after i leveled off it was back to super cold again. i just refilled r12 into the system the day before w 4 cans.

since i don't have a temp sensor (will buy one soon) i couldn't tell if maybe overheating?

thanks all.

I always thought the throttle position played a part as well. The AC will shut off under heavy acceleration to give more power???

Just a thought.

There's the high pressure cutout, low pressure cycling switch, and the ECM cutout that could stop the compressor.

IF you filled the system properly with gauges and the pressures were withing specs. for your ambient temps. then one would suspect it would be the ECM under load turning off the compressor.

Ask your chipburner what value they use for the A/C cutout.

I think you would have to get into the PE tables to make that happen. Your TPS would have to be pretty far off for that to happen. Do you have a scantool that you can use to see if this is happening?

i have power logger.

I think you would have to get into the PE tables to make that happen. Your TPS would have to be pretty far off for that to happen. Do you have a scantool that you can use to see if this is happening?

Are you sure it's actually cutting off?
I bet you're losing vacuum reserve, and the air vents are moving to default positions - defrost/heat.

well the blower speed appeared to be the same but the temp was more like on vent mode vs max or ac.

Are you sure it's actually cutting off?
I bet you're losing vacuum reserve, and the air vents are moving to default positions - defrost/heat.

I don't mean to hyjack this thread, but I was looking for some info b/c my A/C doesn't work and I wanted to repair it so I can take her out this spring.

I noticed my air will not come out of my vents either. It just comes out of the dash and floor. One of you said something about a loss of vacuum causing this. How do I go about troubleshooting this?

I tried reading the Chilton's manual, but the A/C sections were scattered throughout the book making it to difficult to troubleshoot.

There's a 3 leg one way check valve behind the coil pack. When it goes bad and it will, vacuum booster will loose its' vacuum under boost. With vacuum lost, unseen bypass doors close and keep air from coming out of the vents. Replace the check valve that is available in the help sections of almost every auto parts store and your AC will work like it is suppose to.

oh ok. nice cheap fix. figures being over 20 yrs old, things going to fail.

thanks a bunch.

There's a 3 leg one way check valve behind the coil pack. When it goes bad and it will, vacuum booster will loose its' vacuum under boost. With vacuum lost, unseen bypass doors close and keep air from coming out of the vents. Replace the check valve that is available in the help sections of almost every auto parts store and your AC will work like it is suppose to.