ac belt

WH1 85

The the ac belt just won't stop squeling. I have gone through 3 belts. i have loosened it and i have tightened it. It seems to look ok when running,(with ac off). But shakes around badly when ac is on.

by just eyeballing it, it looks as if all of the pulleys are lined up. The ps pump belt and the alt belt are just fine.

Are the belts for our cars different than the belts of the na regals.
I have told the parts people that it is the sfi turbo motor. But I could easily see them messing up and giving me the wrong belt if they are different?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any help would be appreciated I am all out of ideas.

You wouldn't by chance have converted your system over to -134, have you???

IMO, and I can't get any "experts" to back me up on this theory, is that pressures built up in the system with -134 are higher than R-12(that is a fact, btw), and the compressor used on our 84/5s have a natural harmonic in them(that is also a fact)...So the harmonic builds up to a point a starts a vibration in the belt when the ac clutch is engaged...When the ac is off(clutch not engaged), it's free-wheeling and not under load...Mine got to be so bad that you could feel the vibration through the gas pedal and you could actual hear the humming coming from under the hood...

I think that the 86/7 GN/TRs don't have this problem because they are using a different compressor and also run a serpentine belt so the same problem just isn't there...As soon as I get my 85 GN running again, I'm going to pull the system back apart and convert mine BACK to R-12 again...Sucks having an ac system that is charged and not being able to use it...

But let me restate that the opinions expressed above are my own...

What quality and brand of belt are you using? Low quality belts don't have the strength to withstand high load of AC compressors. Did you check tension of the other belts after tightening the AC belt? V-belt pulleys can flex, changing belt tension. Are the pulleys dirty, coated or worn? Worn pulleys allow belt to contact valley of pulley. Why was the belt replaced?

This seems to be a known problem with the hotair cars. The Delco Air/Harisson compressors do not run too well when using R134a or that duracool crap. Most that I have talked to have changed their compressors to a rebuilt unit just cause of this problem. It also seems that the Harrison compressors's life shortens when running R134a, but I do not know how much fact there is in that statement. If you can find a rebuilt unit, then that might solve the problem. If not, maybe you might be able to find some R-12 laying around, as I was lucky enough to find for my TR. Compressor makes no noise whatsoever when engadged with R-12. HTH

-Todders

BELTS

I have gone from goodyear belts, to cheap ones and back to goodyear. I brushed all of the pulleys with a stiff wire brush to get rid of the grime that had accumulated in them.

If my pulleys are worn or not true anymore,(they look fine). Could I replace them with with the pulleys from an n/a motor? I figured that would be a good next step before I bought a new compressor.

By the way at highway speeds the belt makes no noise at all.

Also at highway speeds,(with the air on), the engine seems more responsive and stronger? Is this normal? It usually revs at 2,000, but with the air on it revs at 2,300.

I just figured that it was loading the motor and making it spool quicker. Is there any truth to this theory?