AC advice needed

Mark

My AC is not blowing cold air. The compressor cycles fairly rapidly at idle. The inlet to the evaporator is cold, but the outlet is warm. According to my FP gauge :) I have 76 psi at the accumulator with the AC off. Is this an orifice problem? Is there any way to avoid evacuating the system? I still have R12 in the system and would like to avoid switching to 134.

Thanks,
Mark

whats the pressure with the ac on?does the compressor short cycle? clutch engages and then disengages?if so your short on refrigerant.

There is a newer product out called Freeze 12. It is suppose to be a direct drop in replacement for R-12. A buddy of mine added a couple cans to his Volvo and he said it blows ice cold. It cost about 9 bucks a can and he bought at a local parts house. Maybe try adding a can or two to your car.

Yep, if it cycles fast then it's low on coolant. 1970GSX is right about the freeze 12. It's a wonderful product and the only thing I use anymore. It's so cheap, and if there's a problem then you won't cry when you have to open the system up. Get a set of gauges and a can or two of freeze 12 and top it back off. I have noticed that on a warm day Freeze 12 likes to have a higher High side preasure than R-12. Somewhere around 220-230 psi is normal but on some vehicles it likes to be run at 240 or so. It's like R-134A you have to find the sweet spot for your AC system.

Good luck.

Freeze 12 is kicking booty in the all-original, untouched 205,000 mile AC system in my GN. Great stuff!:cool:

Thanks for the replies. I'd guess the compressor is cycling 20-30 times a minute. I was a little surprised by the low-side pressure, and didn't bother to check it with the compressor running.

Is J.C.Whitney the place to get gauges? Anybody do any better at the local parts stores?

No reason not to change over to 134A. Just bought some at K-mart for $2.50 a can on sale. Buy a low side adapter and pump in a can or two..............or spend a bunch of money everytime you have a problem. :D

When using Freeze 12, does the exisiting R-12 need to be vacuumed out of the system or can you add Freeze 12 mixed with R-12? Do you have to change any of the o-rings?

My car will be up and running within a week and I know my system is not cooling enough.

Dannyo

You can add freeze 12 to an existing R-12 system with out doing a thing to it. It mixes well. On the other hand I have had problems just vacuuming an R-12 system and putting in R-134A. The oil in the R-12 system is incompatible with 134A and sometimes it couagulates and clogs up the orifice valve. So if you do change over to R-134a be sure to remove the Dryer and orifice valve and flush out the system. Then install a new dryer and a VOV.(Variable Orifice Valve.) That way the R-134a will sure enough be a champ. :cool: