ABS vs Fiberglass bumperfillers - Opinions/Testimonials?

Which are better for the long haul?

• ABS Fillers

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Fiberglass fillers

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other/custom

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

turbo84gn

I'd rather be waterskiing
Well, I am in the market for replacing all of my filler panels. After years of storage, they are all dry rotted. Thank goodness the body didn't rust out on me!

Anyway, I see that I can get aftermarket ABS fillers or fiberglass fillers. I do not intend to go hog wild with getting it show car ready, but do want it to look nice, and it will be driven fairly often in summer.

So opinions, suggestions, testimonials appreciated.

Thanks

have tried fiberglass.Problem is if you tap the bumper they break the tabs and or crack. The abs ones are designed to take up the slack if the bumper shock is compressed. I did not hit any thing but someone backed into me and just tapped the bumper and passenger side one cracked
:eek:

You can almost replace the fiberglass twice for the price of the ABS type. I had no fitment problems and don't plan on parking anywhere I can get hit. No need for flex agent in the paint and easy to touch up for the occasional scratch. If you are keeping it showroom original, spend the money, but...how many are left out there in "showroom" condition. No one needs to be that close to your car to tell the difference anyway:D

dead heat?

Cummon guys.... I know there are more than 4 people that can weigh in on this subject. I am in the market for bumper fillers.... and have read what I can find here.... I am leaning toward some fiberglass replacements from Poston. I have a personal friend that has a set on his T. He said they look great, fit right the first time..... and barring an accident..... you just have them painted and installed.... and forget about them. I was considering some ABS ones from a local supplier, but am skeptial if they will fit as good as the Poston fiberglass ones. A guy at the plant I work at has used this supplier for fillers for several cars over the years with good success..... but none of those cars were Regals. I am going to try and find out what brand filler this local company supplies.

So...... cummon guys.... participate in this... participation is what makes these message boards such a valuable tool.... for those who use it and for those who participate in it..... I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to my corner....... :rolleyes:

Buy them you wont be sorry.. I got mine on ebay.. The seller sells all sorts of fiberglass replacement pannels for the GN.. Mine fit great and look great. Email me for installation pics ..urs0crazy@comcast.net

i like the fiberglass ones, i bought mine directly from danko they are out of florida. If you break the abs you cannot repair them as easy as the fiberglass.

poston fiberglass ones... ordered

I bought the fiberglass ones from Poston. We'll see what they look like when they get in and I install them.... unpainted. (I am having my car painted in the next month or so.... so I am not painting the bumper fillers when they get here.... they are going right on my car......they will be painted at the same time the rest of it is)

I'd suggest putting a coat of paint on there first, because once your bumpers are on they overlap some of the filler. Repainting the whole car (if your bumpers are on) the paint wont really get in the space inbetween the bumper well .. Depends how nice you want it to be. Just food for thought :smile:

Back2Spool said:
I'd suggest putting a coat of paint on there first, because once your bumpers are on they overlap some of the filler. Repainting the whole car (if your bumpers are on) the paint wont really get in the space inbetween the bumper well .. Depends how nice you want it to be. Just food for thought :smile:

Well... I didn't mention that I plan on pulling the bumpers before I take it to the paint shop. My next door neighbor owns a bumper remanufacturing supply house.... and he is going to have them powder coated gloss black while the car is at paint. :biggrin:

I'd suggest purchasing the factory fronts. They're infinitely nicer than the re-pops and are reasonably priced.

Abs Filler

I put on the rear ABS fillers a few years ago. I should have test fitted before paint. They could use a small amount of trimming where they meet in the middle.
Overall a nice piece though. Could be the installer (me) with the issue.

For fronts, definitly go to the dealer and buy new.