Abs problem

Neckbrkr

I just changed my master cylinder and now my abs is not working Can anyone tell me where to get it. Thx

Grand Nationals dont have abs:biggrin: What kind of car are we talking about?

Lol, yeah they defiantly dont have ABS, good thing too because thats one more thing to go wrong......

Ask and you will receive:biggrin: Why did you change the master on your mystery car. I think he does have a gn . Take the motor thats making noise off the car and smash it with a hammer and convert to vacuum Your talking about the motor under the master. Thats not an abs pump. Thats an eletric motor that builds pressure.

The brake system on an 86/87 GN (some 85's too I think) is called a PowerMaster. It has an electric pump (under the master cylinder) that builds up pressure which is stored in the black ball (accumulator) This pressure is used to assist braking (power brakes)

There are a couple things that go wrong.
Bad switch (gray or black thing on top of the booster) which can make the motor run too long which burns out the motor or blows the fuse.
internal leaks or checkvalve causing the pump to cycle too often
bad accumulator which causes a momentary hard pedal when hitting the brakes.
bad pump motor (all sorts of bad stuff)
leaks (even more bad stuff)

Now, most parts are not available.

Remanufactured complete units are available, and you can find used stuff on here.

As a backup plan, you can switch the car to vaccuum brakes, and keep the PowerMonster in a bag to rebuild "someday"

Best of luck

Bob

I changed the master cylinder just recently and I never had that continuous noise with the powermaster. Damn I had just refilled my ac. I also seen a leaking of green oily fluid

so is the powermaster running continuously?

Where is the leak?

Can you take a few pics?

The master cylinder reservoir has 3 sections, there is a procedure for checking the level. The larger section is where the booster fluid is.

Where are you located?

Bob

I'm in Los Angeles thx for the hlp I think is the very bottom one The big thing under the master cylinder

yes, thats the pump+motor. But its hard to know if its making noise because it is bad or because something else is wrong.

That part is not available.

B

PowerMaster.jpg