about powertrax sys...

I used the power-trax loc-rite locker in a mopar 8 3/4 rear and hated it. :mad: Makes that terrible ratcheting noise during turns. Applying power in a turn locks up the diff and caught me off guard quite a few times.

I have one and really like it at the drags and stop light "acceration runs" (both wheels WILL turn together) and ok with legal street use. As above owners have indicated, it will spin the inside tire a little and will make a popping sound when making very slow TIGHT turns at stop lights & stop signs. Otherwise, it was invisible to me. It has been on the car for 3-4 years and has been trouble-free.

I like it because you can install it yourself and avoid the expensive gear clearance setting that all the other posi require during installation. The ring and pinion gears are not disturbed during the install. That was a big plus for me.

Conrad Carter

big thanks for your input guys

that unit will be under my GN soon in my case noise is not a problem
and i think it would be a good alternative to a spool kit.

thanks

Claude

**edit... i also broke 2 of them... If you dont have a hard hitting, wheelie poping ride you have nothing to worry about

I had no idea there was a difference. Thanks for sharing with us.
Conrad

just my preference

street car / daily driver = nice tight posi..

weekend street race car / race car = get a spool or mini spool

I bought a 2005 4.3 Silverado "contractors special" 2 years ago with 10 miles as my new work truck after I changed careers. Owning a repair shop and turning wrenches professionally for almost 20 years gave me the opportunity to work on, own and build countless vehicles with all types of differentials. After installing a Powertrax diff in this truck at 40000 miles I have made several observations. It is not nearly as noisy as other cars I have driven with lockers. Common locker charistics are: the inside tire will chirp on turns with even the slightest throttle, quite a bit of understeer going around turns when giving it gas, more pronounced drivetrain backlash, occasional clunks and bangs and traction like no posi can give unless it is really tight. The Silverado had an open rear with 2wd so it was a huge difference in traction. I regularly back my Wave-Runner onto sandy boat ramps and this truck barely sneezes compared to the peg leg rear is had. You definatly have to always keep in mind that it is back there though. Not sure about snow operation but I have a good idea about how it will behave. I can see one in my GN someday. Easy install on the truck because of the single track. I would imagine a posi car would be only slightly more difficult.

just my preference

street car / daily driver = nice tight posi..

weekend street race car / race car = get a spool or mini spool

i looked for a mini spool too but it for a open case only nothing
for our limited slip case.

Claude

I had one and HATED IT noisey,sometimes it locked some times it didn't.:mad: And when it didn't oh my god thought the rearend was going to come thru the floor when it caught.:mad: DON'T BY ONE.Save your money and buy a good posi unit...:D

Hi guys

i think i will go with a open case and a mini spool like Phil say
it will be the cheapest way to lock that rear end maybe.

many thanks

Claude