about poly urethane bushings

crispydworst

The front on my car has 113 000 miles on it the suspension was never touched as far as i know. so i was wonder should i just repace the bushings or replace every thing except the A arms and spindles?
im asking this because PST has two kits front rebuld kit and the super rebuild kit

Here is the link www.P-S-T.com

im sure your car probablly feels like mine use to. i used the super front end kit and its like night and day.also replaced coils and shocks. did the rear bushings too and the car feels like a completely diffrent ride. somepeople are against polygraphite and say they will make noise. so far mine are quiet but will see.i would get the super front end kit, it came with everything but 1 part, cant remember which part though.:D

Originally posted by turbot2112
somepeople are against polygraphite and say they will make noise. so far mine are quiet but will see

Not against poly because it makes noise. Against poly because using it in the rear end causes snap oversteer in sudden transitions, which results in a spin and possibly a collision with something hard.

Poly is fine for the front.

Please please please don't put poly bushing in your car. I have done this and my car has become the worst riding car i've ever owned. If I had the money to do it over again I would just use new rubber bushings. Remenber you are comparing 17 year old rubber to new ones. If you drive it alot like i do use the rubber.

reply about bushings

hi thanks for every body's advice
what about all the hype with poly urethan and poly graphite. I mean every magazine form hot rod to car craft says use that stuff but im sure thay are paid too. other then the binding and bad ride does the car handle better? do the ruber bushings last longer? lets say by the down pipe will put up with the heat? im not questioning any body, I mean the way things sound im probaly going to use rubber, but do they have any pluses
thanks

Re: reply about bushings

Originally posted by crispydworst
hi thanks for every body's advice
what about all the hype with poly urethan and poly graphite. I mean every magazine form hot rod to car craft says use that stuff but im sure thay are paid too. other then the binding and bad ride does the car handle better? do the ruber bushings last longer? lets say by the down pipe will put up with the heat? im not questioning any body, I mean the way things sound im probaly going to use rubber, but do they have any pluses
thanks

Poly will not deform under load like rubber will. On components that only need to move along one axis, like the front control arms, they're great. They keep the arms moving in ways the engineers intended them to move. Rubber will smoosh under a load, and the arms will change alignment. Instead of just rotating up and down along the axis of the bushing, rubber lets them move side to side as well. This causes odd handling problems when the car is pushed.

Poly is also much more resistant to wear, chemicals, and weather. If properly installed using the usually supplied moly grease, they will last the life of the car. The passenger side rear UCA bushing, whether rubber or poly, will eventually succumb to the heat from the downpipe. Globalwest sells a greasable steel bushing for that location that will solve that problem. Just don't forget to grease it periodically.

In the rear end, the control arms have to move both up/down AND sideways. Race cars accomplish this with spherical bearings and heim joints. GM does it with smooshy rubber bushings. Poly in the back will make the car ride very stiffly, almost uncomfortably so. Because the poly will not allow the trailing arms to move side to side, the rear suspension binds up in roll. The axle can only move straight up and down.

I actually tested this. When I had poly in the rear end, I put my jack under the right side rear wheel and jacked it up. The rear axel did not roll at all. When the right side tire came off the ground, so did the left side. I put rubber back in, and when I repeated the test, the right side tire went up almost to the bumpstop before the left lifted.

You need the rear end to articulate in roll. It keeps the rear tires planted in turns (body rolls over the axle), and it also allows one tire to move up and down over things in the road without lifting the opposite side. With poly, when you hit a bump with the right side, it lifts the left side off the ground as the right goes over the bump. In quick transitions, the suspension can actually "bind," where it locks up and ceases to move at all. The springs cannot absorb the energy of the car moving up and and, and all of that force is transmitted to the tire contact patch. This amount force quickly overwhelms the tire, and it loses traction. The result is usually a spectacular spin.

Harder bushings like poly or metal will transmit more road noise and vibrations to the chassis. High durometer rubber (like GM 1LE rubber bushings) will do the same thing. If your body bushings are in good shape, you probably won't notice. I didn't when I changed my bushings out. If your body bushings are shot, then they can't absorb the noise and vibrations, so you may notice a difference.