About how much timing your running...

bruce

Rest In Peace
Today, I had 3 crank balancers to look at. 2 new ones, and a used one. The two new ones, had a shift in the shutter wheel's position of almost a 1/4", and one of the new ones, matched the old one.

I'd STRONGLY recommend using a scanner, and timing light to verify your timing is what it claims to be.

The advance claimed to exist in the chip assumes the mechanical timing is right. If the balancer is in fact 4d off, your 19d chip might in fact be a 23.

As a side note, the TDC notch did line up, on one of them, but I didn't install them all to verify it was correct on each of them.

At this rate I'd suggest the folks, make sure all the marks line up, as they should, and verify the final result with a timing light.

I'd always expected some difference in the shutter location, but never that much.

The interrupter ring should be off by 10*, which is normal. Are you saying that there is a shift from this 10*??

Paul

Originally posted by turbopaul
The interrupter ring should be off by 10*, which is normal. Are you saying that there is a shift from this 10*??

Looks like.
One lines the key way on center with the shutter, and the other, now that I look at it, might be about 10d.

But it's all rather moot, being new, they should be the same, and they aren't. Maybe all the oem cars ones are, maybe they're off and then new ones are right, either way, I'm sticking to checking the TDC notch, and then the timing with a timing light to make sure it's all where it should be.

It's pretty easy to check too. I had to move my timing ring by a couple of degrees to get it where it was supposed to be.

Putting the ECM in "diagnostic" mode (which is different than ALDL mode) fixes the timing at 15 deg. You put the car in diagnostic mode by jumpering the ALDL pins A and B (same as pulling codes via the service engine light). ALDL mode doesn't fix the timing, it just adds 8 deg to the normally calculated advance, so that mode doesn't help.

If you look at the timing tab on the timing chain cover, most of the marks and numbers runs down the outside edge. There is one mark and number on the inside edge; coincidentally it is at 15 deg.

So, fire up the car and jumper the A & B pins and get the timing light going.

John

Originally posted by JDEstill

Putting the ECM in "diagnostic" mode (which is different than ALDL mode) fixes the timing at 15 deg.

So, fire up the car and jumper the A & B pins and get the timing light going.

Arrgh, sure would........
Now to remember that til next time,
Thanks