Aaarrrrghhhhh

ChrisCairns

OK...title says it all. What's the answer?

You need more info? Right.

I'm back to attempting to assemble a spare tranny. In order to do the air test I put the forward and direct drums together, no problem, then I attempted to stick the center support shaft in. The three steel rings on the center support shaft are stopping the shaft from going in. I've checked and the taper that is supposed to compress the rings is intact with no burrs.

How the hell do I get the damn center support into it's place? If I can't even do it on the bench I sure don't think I can do it while assembling in the case. Is there a secret?

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,take the rings off,butt them together and check the fit in the drum,if ok,put them back on the center support,use ATF,with the ring area facing up ( drum on bench),install center support,you may need to walk it back and forth ,do not force it,you should be fine,scott

one more thing,with the rings off,make sure the center support fits the drum,a metric 200 drum wll not fit the center support,wasn't sure if this was a complete unit or your getting misc parts.

Will just the direct clutch fit the center support? If not, you may have a cocked or burred bushing in the direct drum.

This was a core tranny I bought at the Nats in Columbus back in 1999. Just getting around to fixing it...lol.

The guy I bought it from had it rebuilt in Miami just in time to travel up to Columbus for the Nats. It lasted just that far. He then bought a newly rebuilt one from Art Carr with no core so I bought the "new" non working one from him for a core charge of $250. (I felt sorry for the guy ... he'd forked over $4000 for 2 trannys...less the $250 I paid him for the core.)

When I got it home I found the intermediate servo sealing "O" ring was pinched so the 2nd gear band wasn't get full apply. Burned out the band and the direct drum was all black and scored. I bought another direct drum and new band.

With what you said SR7 I went out and measured both the drums and sure enough the new one has a smaller "hole" for the center support shaft. Guess the tranny place I got it from sold me the metric one as you suggested. (Care to enlighten me as to what a metric 200 is?)

At the time I bought the direct drum I was thinking about buying it from a Buick tranny vendor but wanting to get on with and not wait I went to a local transmission parts wholesaler. Another lesson learned.

Thanks very much guys.