Aaaargh slipping in 1-2 and no 3 or 4

DorianL

Hi,

My 200-4R was shifting erratically after a fresh rebuild. I traced it down to some sticking valves.

Rather than mess with it, I decided to chuck my VB and purchase a CK Perfomance VB + governor. Pump is a new CK pump. I have a deep pan and sump. Bowtie overdrive converter. Wide band. Billet anchor pin. GN Servo.

I freshly rebuilt the trans and it was working about fine going though all the gears if shifting erraticly.

I connected a pressure gauge.

P 70/220
R 120/280
N 70/220
D 70/220
3 70/200
2 220/220
1 220/220

Looks fine. I take it for a spin and MY...

The shift from 1 to 2 was nearly undetecable. And it never shifted to 3.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The only thing I change was the VB and the governor.

Did I miss a checkball? Did the governor lose a spring? Are the VB gaskets reversed?

I reinstalled all the check balls except the TV exhaust. I did notice however the the checkballs are of different size?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

D

Could it be I screwed up the checkballs or put too much vaseline on them to hold them up?

A governor spring. Reading some old posts... it looks like the governor spring might have fallen.

When I got the governor, the spring was already out. I put it back in but am not sure it was holding properly.

I think it is that...

Say, if it is... how do I keep that spring from popping out again???

If the gov. spring came out it won't shift till hi rpm. Can you put the guage on & check press. while driving?

install the pressure gage while driving.see if the pressure drops during a shift.recheck gaskets and bolt torque.make sure you didnt forget to install the accumulator housing gasket.there is a circuit split by one of the checkballs that gets in trouble if its left out .double check your work.

Well, I think it ****ted at high RPM from 1 to 2, but I am not even sure of that as I could never feel it. If it did, I had to raise the RPM very high in 1st and let go of the gas. But then I could not feel the shift. When I shifted down manually from 2 to 1 I could feel it... but maybe that was just the trans "holding" in 1?

It may once have hit third, again after very high RPM.

Beginning to think the governor tossed a spring for sure.

I had a pressure gauge on there. I don't think the pressure ever dropped.

Reading older posts I heard about set screws. (talk about a design flaw!) The idea is to drill, tap the weight and put in a small screw to hold the spring in place, much like the plastic tab holding the other spring. Right. Plus a drop of locktite.

I hope it is this...

Stay tuned.

D

A-Ha!!!!!

Springs are there... checkball is missing.

Is that a standard size 200-4R checkball?