A Troubling Trend Here: Do You REALLY Want to Sell It?

GNXcess

[I know this will be moved, but it is most appropriate right here where the rubber meets the road, so to speak] :biggrin:

It seems to be a general trend that many folks, especially on boards such as this, are very quick to list all the mods, extra parts, and money they've spent, but not much in terms “harder to change” things like condition, history, or factory options which can be much more important to many potential buyers (myself included). Dare I say it’s only a matter of months before people start asking if the block and tranny are original? :eek:

Let's face it-- I can bolt on or change anything I want and have a garage full of Kirban spare parts and ten alcohol injection kits and Scanmasters, but a minute or two spent describing the car itself would be immensely helpful. In the end, it’s arguably more important what kind of car was all this stuff bolted on to in the first place!

I think as these cars get older and inch toward the 20 year old mark, you'll see an increase in a desire to understand how the Turbo Regals came originally equipped, and how well preserved they are condition-wise. Mods are great, but much easier to change (and reverse) than the car they're actually installed on. So, to the sellers I say: Why not describe BOTH so you appeal to BOTH types of buyers right from the start– instead of making them wait for pictures to see the colors and options?

After all (for the "just ask for pics" folks)-- should we have to ask and wait for a photo of the instrument cluster to figure out how many miles are on the car? :wink:

Thoughts?
Doug

Sounds like you'd like a moderator job. Set up a webpage with a form to fill out, a place to attach pics, and hyperlink the ads. It would be more simple than dreaming up your own description. I admit it's not a bad idea; standardize the cars for sale section. Hope there's enough server space.

I agree. When I was selling my WE4, I would get discouraged when I would look on the board and see other cars with more miles/ higher price were getting a lot more hits than my car. Then I really looked at the replys and saw it was mostly people asking how many miles, what color, etc. To me those are basic stats that should be there in the first place.

Here is a link to my add:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155680

And you think that this is by accident, huh?
Most of the for sale or trade ads that I look at seem to be written/worded quite skillfully.

I agree with gary. I suppose if the ad sucks then you probably wouldn't want the ride anyway? :)

When it's time to sell a vehicle, especially something like a tr, you had better have learned advertising management 101 at "Easy Riders" and/or "Reader's Digest", not "Boys life" nor "Gentleman's Quarterly".

Buyer beware - read the add!

Ask questions.
Consider the answers.
Check out the pictures.
Inspect & test drive.
Title & documentation.
Offer and sale ...as is where is
The money for the keys....it's yours. :eek:

Then I ask my wife if she wants to go with when I pick it up.

dwall :biggrin:

That's how I got my white T... yea she drives it too.

Huh

MAKES ME WONDER IF I DESCRIBED MY EL CAMINO TO MY BEST :D
BUT THERE IS SOME TRUTH TO THAT. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A RUST BUCKET, SAY SO BEFORE HAND. :eek:

FWIW & IMHO:
I think that people should be 100% honest when selling something, actually at all times, but that may not apply here, but keep in mind your definition of rust, scale, contamination, & visual defects could be considerably different than everyone else's. Basically, Buyer Beware is the best policy these days.