A question about valves.

DWB47

I'm collecting parts, getting ready to send my heads to the machine shop. I was searching for recommendations on valve seals, and found a thread about using TTA Valves. I think I have it figured out but I'd like some confirmation that I am going in the right direction.

1. Buicks don't use seals on the exh valve from the factory.
2. The factory exh valves have grooves.
3. I have a cam with .459 lift, so I will have to get the guides cut.
4. If I have to get the guides cut I need to run seals on the exhaust valves.
5. The groove in the factory valves will chew up seals so I have to go with TTA Valves.

Am I on the right track? If so, any recomendations on what type of valves to get? Thanks in advance.

I'm collecting parts, getting ready to send my heads to the machine shop. I was searching for recommendations on valve seals, and found a thread about using TTA Valves. I think I have it figured out but I'd like some confirmation that I am going in the right direction.

1. Buicks don't use seals on the exh valve from the factory.
2. The factory exh valves have grooves.
3. I have a cam with .459 lift, so I will have to get the guides cut.
4. If I have to get the guides cut I need to run seals on the exhaust valves.
5. The groove in the factory valves will chew up seals so I have to go with TTA Valves.

Am I on the right track? If so, any recomendations on what type of valves to get? Thanks in advance.

You are correct on all your points.
At one time, I actually modified the retainer to get me an extra 0.030 lift clearance.
You can also use the +0.050 keepers, but you will need more spring pressure, which can backfire.

Easiest way is the way you describe it.

Brad & Jerryl, Thank you. What type of valves should I get? Are the Sealed power that are available at part stores ok or should I look for something better? I need to get ones for a TTA, correct?

Brad & Jerryl, Thank you. What type of valves should I get? Are the Sealed power that are available at part stores ok or should I look for something better? I need to get ones for a TTA, correct?

TTA valves should work, if, that don't have the oil groove AND if you plan to cut the guides down.

Whatever you decide, make sure they are rated for boosted applications such as Manley Severe Duty Valves. (Example)
I got mine from Champion.

Thanks Charlie. That thread will be helpful. Now I'm thinking about porting my heads.

You're very welcome. Porting isn't hard if you pay attention to what you're doing. I haven't had time to do much more because of side work but as soon as I do it'll be posted for the guys. If you want to keep up subscribe and see how it goes.

You're very welcome. Porting isn't hard if you pay attention to what you're doing. . . . . . .

True, but I would clarify;
. . . If you pay attention to what you know you must be doing.

Based on data and real world results previously post on this board, I have seriously reconsidered what are commonly thought to be the porting necessities on a stock head based on “Bang for the Buck”. :eek:

True, but I would clarify;
. . . If you pay attention to what you know you must be doing.

Based on data and real world results previously post on this board, I have seriously reconsidered what are commonly thought to be the porting necessities on a stock head based on “Bang for the Buck”. :eek:

:tongue::tongue::tongue: LOL Don't you mean "Bang for the Buick" Jerryl?:biggrin: