A little tuning help, please....

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Hey guys...new TT 92/alky chip installed. I also installed a alkycontrol system on my 86 GN at the same time. Both are new. The alky system hasn't been messed with yet, and I have not turned up the boost. The settings on the alky and chip are stock as they came to me.

The car has had almost all of the sensors replaced, except KR sensor. All vacuum lines have been replaced, and a complete spring cleaning done. I don't know that there's much more I could replace. I'm ready to start tuning but need a little guidance/assistance.

I put the chip in and started the car, with the rough idle, and drove it around for a while. It was running rich and was puking fuel out. After about 10 minutes it cleaned up a bit, but is still running rich at idle. Not hugely rich, but rich. Using my nose I can smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Fuel pressure is currently set at 39 line on. Warmed up at idle I observed the o2's were 750-850, roughly. o2's move around a lot. The TPS was at .42-.44 and the IAC was at 38-41.

I made a wide open throttle pass starting out by just leaving it in third gear, and rolling into the boost. I hit 15psi (which is where the wastegate was set at before) and backed out of it. I observed the WOT o2 was 855 with 0.2* knock retard. The alky was working at the time of the pass.

I believe the o2's at WOT and idle are too rich. Do you guys agree? What do I want to do at this point to start dialing the car in before I start throwing boost at it? Thanks for your help!

Hey guys...new TT 92/alky chip installed. I also installed a alkycontrol system on my 86 GN at the same time. Both are new. The alky system hasn't been messed with yet, and I have not turned up the boost. The settings on the alky and chip are stock as they came to me.

The car has had almost all of the sensors replaced, except KR sensor. All vacuum lines have been replaced, and a complete spring cleaning done. I don't know that there's much more I could replace. I'm ready to start tuning but need a little guidance/assistance.

I put the chip in and started the car, with the rough idle, and drove it around for a while. It was running rich and was puking fuel out. After about 10 minutes it cleaned up a bit, but is still running rich at idle. Not hugely rich, but rich. Using my nose I can smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Fuel pressure is currently set at 39 line on. Warmed up at idle I observed the o2's were 750-850, roughly. o2's move around a lot. The TPS was at .42-.44 and the IAC was at 38-41.

I made a wide open throttle pass starting out by just leaving it in third gear, and rolling into the boost. I hit 15psi (which is where the wastegate was set at before) and backed out of it. I observed the WOT o2 was 855 with 0.2* knock retard. The alky was working at the time of the pass.

I believe the o2's at WOT and idle are too rich. Do you guys agree? What do I want to do at this point to start dialing the car in before I start throwing boost at it? Thanks for your help!

im no tuning expert but with a TT chip ur car is supposed to idle at 750-850, open loop. it allows for a better idle so it is going to be rich at idle and smell some!

tps is good, maybe bring the IAC down to 20-30counts.

for ur car to operate correctly u need to add some boost, what is ur chip set for boost and timing wise? when u go WOT it should be throwing in fuel for 20+psi not 15psi. 855 idicates u r pig rich and thats probably where the .2 knock came from as well! hth:smile: anymore questions just ask!

THanks for the reply. The first question is how to I bring IAC down? As for boost, yes, I will bring that up. Just a rough guess, how many turns do I shorten the rod to bring the boost up?

Iac reset procedure on gnttype website.

+1 on turning up the boost. Eric has the fuel parameters set for x amount of boost with alky. Look on the chip it will tell u how much psi his initial default settings are.

To adjust the IAC, turn the screw on the ds top of the throttlebody. It's on the cable bracket and looks like an idle adjustment screw. Turn it ccw to turn IAC down. Once you adjust the IAC, you will probably have to readjust the TPS. :rolleyes:

Go here, and click on "Basics". You will see the procedure for TPS and IAC adjustments.
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance