a little smoke?

87gnfan

ok just had my motor rebuilt.blocked bored .030 over,recon.the rods.new pistons.cam,lifters,all new bearings,and valve job on the heads,did not need guides or nothing,just reseat valves.ok first start driving car and no smoke,now when i start the car i get anywhere from a small puff to a BIG puff of smoke out pipes.could this be from the rings not seating yet?or oil leaking from the turbo.i have put about 600 miles on it so far.i am driving myself crazy about this,just spent 3000.00 on it and now it smokes......any suggestions.................thx

1 comp test will tell ya how its sealin but i'd wait

2 check your intercooler if ya suspcet the turbo
or if ya look on the pass side valve cover breather on front with tube to turbo, it may be gettin oil through there, if so cottons or other vendors have a reg breather and a plug for the turbo line to prevent this.

3 check coil pack not firing enough voltage or wires are bad check gnttype.org i think they have how to check the coil there, or it could be the ign module.

I'm sure it could be something else but this is a good starting point if anyone else has ideas chime in.

Another point - you say your valves did not need guides.
How many miles were on the motor (guessing stock heads) when it was rebuilt? I have heard that as tight as these motors need to be when they are built, you don't just freshen up the guides by knurling - you replace them. With fresh rings and cylinder walls you will have some good vacuum/boost pushing on them. Knurled guides won't put up with the pressures from a turbo and go out quickly. Seals might not stop the oil from going by after it sits overnight.

Otherwise, I agree with fastcar.

Well The Car Has 180 Thou.on It I Guess,but Someone Had Gone Thru The Motor..or So They Say.the Machine Shop I Took It To,the Guy That Owns It Is A Stickler For Detail,if He Thought They Were Bad He Would Of Said Something...

87gnfan said:
Well The Car Has 180 Thou.on It I Guess,but Someone Had Gone Thru The Motor..or So They Say....
Do you have proof of that? Receipts, photos? Who was this person or people and what do they know about these motors? Sounds like you are dealing with an unknown component of the situation. If indeed the motor had been gone through before, who knows what had been done without some kind of proof. A second rebuild at 180k miles sounds like a hard run engine, or the first rebuild may not have been done right. I don't want to knock what you have done, but if the smoke you see only blows on startup and then goes away, it's a classic tell tale sign of valve seals or guide problems. The oil leaks past the seals and guides when the engine is warm and the oil is thin, sits on top of the valve (or piston) and burns right up when you start it.

87gnfan said:
the Machine Shop I Took It To,the Guy That Owns It Is A Stickler For Detail,if He Thought They Were Bad He Would Of Said Something...
For your typical motor that may be true. I have heard that our motors are different. Pose your question on GNTTYPE (I believe I have seen you post there as well) and see what answers you get. I may be completely wrong in my diagnosis, but from what you have described it is the only thing I can come up with.
Maybe someone with better knowledge/experience will chime in with a better solution.

I think the tolerance is .002 on stem movement on valves i could be wrong going on memory, if it has been rebuilt previously then it probably is good if it was bad i'm sure valves would not seat or top engine noise would be apparent, a leak down test will confirm this.

Well The Motor Had To Be Rebuilt,but When I Do Not No,i Bought It From The 3rd Owner .the Engine Was Bored .020 When It Was Tore Down,cam Had A Flat Lobe,lifter Cupped Out And Skirt On Piston Was Cracked.nothing Was Torqued Right.so Whoever And When Ever It Was Rebuilt,someone Knew Nothing Of What They Were Doing.and Is It Possible That The Rings Just Have Not Seated Yet.how Long Does That Take To Happen.i Have 600 Miles On This Engine So Far.should They Have Seated?