A few questions...

Sarah99gxe

Finally got my Turbo
We recently got my 83 T-Type running and are having a few bugs we need to work out. We've got less than 100 miles on the rebuilt motor and we are running across some issues. I have to tell you that this is the first time in 12 years that this car has ran. We got the motor rebuilt and it sat for about 1 1/2 years before we got everthing hooked up.

1) Engine wants to die when coming to a stop. We replaced the hydrobooster & master cylinder and this seemed to solve the problem for a minute and then it started happening again. We have up'd the idle which helped a little bit, however we still have to baby the brake pedal to keep the car from dying.

What should the rpm's be set at when idleing?

When we get the RPM's set correctly, and this continues to happen, what should we be looking at next?

2) I noticed I'm now leaking fluid (2 pretty big areas) - 1 under the front passenger side tire (not directly under but next to it under the motor), and 1 under the tranny pan. The leak seems to be centered around the front of the pan, but it looks like oil and not tranny fluid. What are the chances this could be a rear main seal?

3) The turbo indicator guage seems to not be working correctly. It never goes below the yellow and stays in the red most of the time. Is there a sensor that may need replacing or does the whole dash unit usually have to be replaced?

4) The transmission seems to be shifting way to soon in each gear. By the time we are at about 25 mph it's already in 4th gear. Is this a sign of a bad transmission? It doesn't have problems shifting, it's just doing it too soon.

Sorry for the long post. Any help that can be provided is appreciated. I've been waiting a long time to get my baby running, and now I'm having issues!!:frown: :frown:

Thanks,
Sarah

I am not familiar with your year but it sounds like it just might be some vacuum leaks and or poor electrical connections/ground wires.

Sure all the sensors are right?

I am not familiar with your year but it sounds like it just might be some vacuum leaks and or poor electrical connections/ground wires.

Sure all the sensors are right?

Thanks.

Which issue are you referring to? All of them?

There's always the possibility that a sensor may be incorrect, but my electrical guy is usually right on and he replaced quite a few before we got the car running - but he may have not done all of them.

**bump**

no other thoughts/ideas?

I'd still like some clarification to the vacuum issue. Would this be effecting the tranny shift and the turbo boost guage (as I'm not exactly sure what hooks up to the guage make it work correctly).

Thanks.

Factory boost gauge is generally useless- get an aftermarket gauge.

The oil leak could be just a valve cover drip that's migrating around. if you've determined it's oil and not trans fluid, then I'd clean the lower part of the engine, then dye the engine oil to find the leak.

This is an 83 Carb turbo. It doesn't have the boost-a-tach of a SFI car.
The boost lights are actuated by a Hobbs switch. Check the vacuum line going to it. You can get a new NOS switch from GBodyParts.com Online .It's the same part used on our digital dash cars.
You might try adjusting the TV cable on the trans. If it is shifting into OD at 25mph that might be normal for your model. How does it shift under WOT?
Is the car throwing a CEL or any codes? Sounds like vacuum leaks if it is stalling or wont idle.
You're on your own finding the cause of the oil leaks. Maybe some tracer dye and a black light?