a few questions after tt chip install in north houston

Jackie grabos

hello, have a few things wrong with the car and hope someone can help shed some light on problems. I have 87 gn. I was running extender chip, have lucas red stripe injectors, ported heads manifold, hotwire kit after market pump, stock exhaust manifold, te-60 turbo, manual boost controller, caspers volt booster, dutt neck and open pipe exhaust. the car has 65k miles and seemed to be running fine. I installed my scan master and tt chip. my iac was showing 0 and tps at.52. so I started adjusting things and got tps to .44 and wot 4.46 and iac showing about 20. I start the carand does not seem to running as good as before. the car smells crazy rich and now when driving I can hear the turbo spooling at like 1500 rpm or if I blip the throttle can hear it whirl. the car was not doing this before. I could drive and never heard turbo spool until I got around 3000 rpm and would go to boost and pulled strong. car set for 15-16 lbs of boost. chip was made for 16-18 lbs. is this normal or was the way it was running before not normal. car still makes boost around same rpm but does not seem to pull as hard. the only thing I did was adjust the tps approx. 10 times. could a bad shaft seal cause these symptoms. that is the only thing I messed with and iac. looked for leaks and cannot see anything. drove the car about 10-15 minutes and restarted. o2 showed 800's for about 2-3 seconds and back down to around 460. replaced o2 sensor and still the same. the car has never smelled rich until now and very strong smell. tried to adjust fpr and when screw turned all the way to rt fuel pressure is 42. im guessing fpr is bad and have another on order. just to try fpr I got one for a turbo ta to try and see if it would run better. nope, installed and now car is making thud noise from engine bay approx every 10 sec or so give or take a few seconds. I replaced plugs, wires and coil. not going to run car again until new fpr shows up. my vac/boot gauge is showing 15 for the vacuum. took off inlet side of turbo and spins easy, have not noticed anything leaking from car. sorry this is so long, any help much appreciated.

Try posting up all your scanmaster readings at hot idle. That may help generate some quality responses. Where in north Houston? I'm in magnolia. I know of a few guys on the board that are in that neck of the woods (kinda).

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

hey, im in magnolia. I live in across 1488 from dooley and sons hot rod shop. also forgot to list maf translator 1st gen and switched jumpers to tt chip settings. will post numbers tomorrow. at station tonight. I will try to upload video of sound car is making if computer here will let me. my blms were 136.

Sweet, we may have to charter the Magnolia Turbo Buick Club!

I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't mind taking a look if you want, but I wouldn't be able to until the weekend. BLMs don't sound that high, but mine always smelled rich before I switched to e85. Now, very little smell.

here are my scanmaster numbers.

af-8
l8-39
batt-13.5
int-128
bl-136
mph-0
clt-167
ats-71
r-825
tps-44
iac-8-8
cc-29
mal-23
o2 sensor-460

Are the cc's changing? Your BL number is saying that it is trying to add fuel.
What are your WOT 02 readings?

The code 23 means: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#23

I dont think that would throw your Air Fuel ratio off...do you have an inlet air temp plugged in?

Im in Tomball by the way, so maybe another NW Houston get together is in order.

Just re read your post...the fuel pressure regulator should be set with the vacuum line off per the recommendation on your TT chip. (43psi with line off) Also make sure you have a quality pressure gauge, I had one of those gauges mounted on the fuel rail and it was off 5 psi when I checked with an actual service tool gauge.

Also....I had an episode of poor performance that was caused by bad vacuum lines and a broken vacuum block at the top of the throtte body.

It is probably worth checking every inch of vacuum lines in the car, when I bought mine they looked ok...but I started checking closer and there were several leaks and a broken vacuum block.

North Houston get together sounds good to me. I want to see what my car can look like one day!
Brandon

my w ot o2 is 860 amd vacuum block is the remains of atr 7th injector set up. it is aluminum. wondering if shat seals might be bad, they look old. i have checked the vacuum lines but not the ones that go to the passenger side firewall. not sure how to access them. from what i can see in engine bay they look fine. guess i might need to get a smoke test. i do not have inlet temp sensor. my filter has a hole that is plugged, guess that is where it would go. the cc's are changing and my fp guage is rail mount. will have to get better one. will try to get something i can mount on windshield. yes, we should have north side meet and greet. did not think there were this many gn owners up here.

my w ot o2 is 860 amd vacuum block is the remains of atr 7th injector set up. it is aluminum. wondering if shat seals might be bad, they look old. i have checked the vacuum lines but not the ones that go to the passenger side firewall. not sure how to access them. from what i can see in engine bay they look fine. guess i might need to get a smoke test. i do not have inlet temp sensor. my filter has a hole that is plugged, guess that is where it would go. the cc's are changing and my fp guage is rail mount. will have to get better one. will try to get something i can mount on windshield. yes, we should have north side meet and greet. did not think there were this many gn owners up here.

Well technically I own a limited...much cooler than some dime a dozen black GN ;)

Your WOT O2 and BLM are indicating that you are getting some unmetered air from somewhere? That is my guess. Also you had the car idling originally and had a 0 IAC would also suggest that you are getting unmetered air. In my case it was a simple vacuum fix...also cuplrits could be a leak at the throttle body, dog house or intake?

thanks, off tomorrow and going to get some brake or carb cleaner and spray around and see if i can find leaks. also, when pressing my gas pedal the tps counts are not smooth to wot. does this mean tps possibly bad? that and iac were really the only thing i messed with initally. iac was changed approx 1 year ago at shop so don't think it is bad.

I have a fp gauge you can use if you can wait till this weekend. Tomorrow is daughter's bday and Friday is a funeral. It's one of the autozone loaners that I just kept because it was brand spankin new.

As far as north Houston get together, there's a thread in the Texas regional that you can resurrect that should touch most of the guys that would attend. It's been awhile since we had one so we might get a good turnout. Last couple of times a few of the guys from the old Houston Buick club showed up with their rides. Pretty cool.

ok, thanks. will hold off on fp gauge. think I will go ahead and do tps just to be sure and check for vacuum leaks. thanks for the help.