A Darker Shade of Fear - Pt 4

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
There is always Someone...

Dan sat comfortably in his chair, a cold Mick Light on the oak table to his left and a variety of car mags on his lap. The black car had him puzzled but he also knew that he wasn’t as ‘up’ on the cars as he used to be years ago. Used to, he could identify nearly every car and model made down to the year and what drive train it might even have. But not so much anymore…

Ever since he had gotten heavy into Turbo Buicks, married Sally, and let life move forward knowing that cars aren’t always the most important things in life, he let the details go by. Anyhow – what’s cooler or more bad than an ‘old V6, granny’s car that can embarrass nearly every set of wheels out there if done and tuned right? At least, that was Dan’s line of thinking and shared by most anyone who knew OR had the misfortune to see the tail lights of Dan’s white Turbo Regal.

So, here he sat trying to find the car that he saw humiliate the Viper owner just yesterday when he heard the phone ring. He could hear Sally’s voice in the kitchen…

“Hello? Yeah, he’s here – wanna talk to him? I’ll get him Carl, hang on… no, he’s not busy, just reading some car magazines.”

“What?”

“No, we saw this really bad black car the other just wipe up a Viper and it’s been buggin’ Dan ever since. Well, I’m curious too, but he’s kind of obsessing I think…”

He heard her chuckle as she said the last line, her footsteps getting louder in the hall as she approached the den.

“Here he is..”

“Hello?”

“Oh, hi Carl – how’s it hangin’?”

“Oh, nothing really - just trying to see what kind of car that was we saw the other day. Sally tell you about it?”

“Carl, I have never seen a Viper get so owned, so easily other than that one ACR I raced a while back with the white car. Of course, THAT Viper was stock cause I know the guy.”

“Yeah, well this Viper was far from stock. I think someone said it belongs to some guy over on the southwest side who has a lot of bucks and several cool cars. Supposedly, it’s a former Hennessey car that has had some more strokin’ done to it and it sounded like it.”

“Yeah, a Venom 650 or something like that.”

“Well, I don’t know what it had in it but this black car just walked it like it was sittin’ still.”

“Yeah, I know. You’ve seen the black car too?”

Dan’s face darkened as he listened to Carl talk about having run into the mysterious car about three nights ago when he was riding around with Joe in his Donovan’d ’97 SS. Seems that they met up at a stop light next to the Super Wal-Mart. Joe revved the huge Big Block, not as a challenge, just trying to keep it’s humongous throat clear, and just as he did, this long black car with a deep rumble and faint whine pulled up next to them. Joe and Carl both looked over and as they did, the black car’s lights went off, then back on, as if some coded message said “Let’s dance”.

They just kind of looked at each and nearly laughed, both of them thinking that whatever was in the long car next to them couldn’t even come close to the stop light banditry the SS was capable of. Hell, if they didn’t know better they thought the car might have been an old Ford or Mercury but they didn’t really know because they never noticed it till it was next to them.

But when the light was beginning to change, they heard the car next to them sound like it was coming up in revs against a transbrake – somehow through an OPEN EXHAUST(???).

How in the hell did that happen?

It was over before it started.

The light was still yellowish in the cross lane when Joe mashed the pedal and dumped the clutch a nano second later when the revs crossed 3200 RPM’s. The DR’s hooked well and the nose of the SS left skyward just an inch or two as the suspension did its job.

Carl and Joe’s heads were thrust backwards from the immense torque of the 572 –

But not so far as to not be able to see the rear lights of the black car next to them –

Before they were even under the light and half way through the intersection…

The other car was gone and all they could see in the darkness was two oddly shaped tail lights and license plate that read…

ANNIL8R

“Dan, I’m tellin’ you – Joe was dead before he even got through the intersection! That car walked way like we were parked and it sounded like blown pro-stocker once he uncorked the exhaust – however he did that, I have no idea!”

Dan listened, his brow a little knitted as he listened to the kill story that we all never want to share. A loss…

“Well, what kind of car do you think it was Carl?”

“I don’t know Dan. It’s long and black with odd tail lights and a plate that reads A-N-N-I-L-8-R… And that plate fits the description of THAT car, that is for sure.”

Most of the rest of the conversation wasn’t much; just some small talk, because Dan’s mind was already trying to figure it out.

With no luck…

A few nights later, Friday to be exact, Dan and Sally went over to the Cancun, a great new Mexican restaurant, for dinner and Sally suggested Dan drive the Regal. Dan wasn’t too hopped up on the idea since it seemed like every time they had it out, street racing wasn’t far behind them. The last time they were out in it, some college boy in an LS1 Ram Air Firebird (that sounded like it had a SC on it based on the whine), tried to get a kill on the white ‘Granny car’ but instead, got an education in Tail Light Identification. That’s the thing about those TR’s – you can’t hardly tell a 10 second terror from a 14 second stocker without raising the hood.

It seems the Bird owner should have asked to see under the hood. Instead, all he got to see was the trunk – and the tail lights.

So, after a meal of fajitas and Enchiritos, Dan and Sally decide to head over to Woody’s to get a malt before heading back. Dan had to work the next day so a late night was out of the question.

When they pulled in, already a great congregation of street iron was in attendance, including Joe and Carl in their cars – the Mach 1 and the SS. Both of them were sitting on the curb just watching the assortment of Fords, Chevies, and Mopars come and go. When the spotted the TR, they both eagerly motioned Dan to come park near them since there were two empty spots adjoining Joe’s SS. Backing the TR in, a lot of eyes watched the neon lights glisten off its flanks and chrome, its subdued exhaust giving little away that underneath the hood were nearly 600 rwhp waiting to stretch their legs.

He let the Buick idle for a minute to cool and then shut it off.

Sally hopped out first and then Dan, both of them sidling over to exchange pleasantries with Joe and Carl when a weird hush seem to come over the din of excitement at Woody’s Drive-In. A deep, baritone exhaust note could be heard slowing as if to enter the drive-in and as usual, the motor heads all turned to see who or what it was. This time, it wasn’t anything normal. It wasn’t anything even unusual or freaky.

It was ANNIL8R

No one noticed that Simple Plan’s “Addicted” was playing over the PA system anymore. No one noticed that their food might be getting cold sitting on the brushed aluminum trays that had “Woody’s Drive-In” paper mats with a hugely grinning “Woody” woodpecker’s caricature grinning at the viewer beneath their food. No one noticed the breeze that WAS blowing had died down. All they seemed to see was the long, black car pull in and around to the speaker box for the drive through, which was to Dan’s far left since they were parked near the exit of the eatery.

A dark window rolled down and those close enough could hear a voice order just one thing – “Large Coke” and that was it. No acknowledgement of the order or even waiting for the clerk to tell the driver how much; just order and drive up to the pickup window.

For the first time, Dan, Sally, Joe and Carl now had a chance to see what the car was. The profile screamed Ford, similar to a Crown Vic, something Late Model. But the tail lights didn’t match up to what they knew a Crown Vic had. Anyways, who in the hell in their right mind would mod up a Crown Vic? A Highway Patrolman?

And, it had fog lights which was odd. It definitely was healthy, they all noted to themselves. ‘Those rear tires have to be 315’s at least’, Dan observed to no one in particular. The wheels were black with chrome center caps and chrome lug nuts. Other than that, the car was all black. No chrome anywhere. No badges. No emblems.

Joe spoke first.

“I know what it is – I think. I just saw a story about this kind of car on Horsepower TV. It might be a modded Mercury Marauder…”

Since neither of the four (other than Joe’s TV experience) had ever seen one of the new Marauders, they still weren't sure. Sally was next to Dan and put her arm around his back.

“Danny, is THIS the car we saw at the intersection last week?”

“I think it is… but I don't know if it's one of those Mercs or not” said Dan quietly. They watched the car pull up to the window and a black gloved hand hold out a couple of bills, pull in a drink and some change and disappear behind glass again. Slowly, the car started rolling their way again, coming towards them at first then centering itself preparing to exit right out of the lot.

“Let’s go” said Dan quietly.

“Now? Why, we haven’t even ordered yet” questioned Sally.

“I know baby. I just want to see that car a little closer and we’ll come back.”

Sally knew what was on Dan’s mind now – and it wasn’t anything to drink.

“Dan, please… you won’t race him will you?”

“I don’t know Sally. I don’t plan on it, no.”

Sally knew that that really meant “If he’s up to it, you bet your ass I’ll race him.” Dan, being the typical car guy, loved a mechanical challenge and what better night than tonight to see what this ‘BAD’ car had than tonight?

Dan and Sally remounted the Regal, Joe and Carl jumped in Carl’s Mach 1 – after Joe locked the doors and set the alarm on the SS - and then both cars pulled out just behind the black one heading out and away from traffic.

They followed ANNIL8R for a couple of miles, just staying back and shadowing it. Dan didn’t even have the stereo on and Sally sat in silence, her own curiosity piqued by the car.

The last light on the four lane was about a half mile up so Dan swung over left of the black car. Having a mixture of race-gas in his tank, Dan wasn’t worried about the 28 pounds of boost he might be calling upon and he knew the pseudo-DR’s might protest a little to all the torque but they really were just slicks – the ‘tread’ was just a smoke screen for the occasional po-po who might pull him over.’ Slicks with lines in them’ was what Sally called them – and she was right.

As Dan and the black car pulled up to the light everyone noticed that the black cars exhaust got noticeably louder.

Hmmm, thought Dan. He DOES want to play! Great…

The light had changed to red as they were nearing the intersection so they had to wait for the cycle. Dan felt fairly good about this race in this location. It was late at night, no traffic other than Carl right behind them and the four lane continued out for nearly another half mile with a quarter mile ‘marker’ known by all the local racers exactly a quarter mile down – the marker being a “This Lane Ends” with an arrow pointing down in the near lane to identify which one.

Dan and the driver both engaged transbrakes while Sally cinched up her five point. Dan had decided long ago to install identical race buckets and five points in the car since they both liked what was about to happen –race hard. They had already pulled their helmets from behind the seats and had strapped them down. The roll bar gave Sally a good place to grip on the launch and already her right hand was tightly clenched around the tube near above her right knee.

“Kill it Dan. Just go ahead and kill it…”

For all of Sally’s femininity, for all her quiet and fun loving girlish ways, she loved to race. And she knew this was going to be a good one.

Dan just smiled intently, watching the light go yellow…

“He’s already dead, honey…”

Carl and Joe sat in Dan’s lane, both of them hearing the Stage II rev against the transbrake. Yet, almost as soon as the Buick hunched up as the torque tried to twist the flywheel loose, that sound was overwhelmed by a stroked 4.6 liter, twin turbo’d modular motor through unimpeded open exhaust trying to twist a bullet proof C4’s input shaft in half. NOBODY but the driver of the black car knew what was beneath the hood. Even Dan didn’t really think this opponent had all THAT much. Dan even thought that, well, since he had been the big dog in town for so long, everyone had to know it was foolish to run the White Car, right?

So, time to teach this guy too.

*Blink*

As the amber light was over-ridden by the green, both cars launched hard. Neither driver knew the sum of over 2000 horsepower was now unleashed on the street in anger; neither driver knew the other; neither driver knew the other one had a passenger; and, neither driver thought the opponent would win.

One of them was wrong.

As the driver of the black car loosed the hounds with the flick of the trans brake, the black car left the line as if shot from a cannon, its well built and tuned suspension locked the car down as if on rails, the DOHC motor was breathing heavily the twin turbo’s force fed air, ramming in gaping mouthfuls of fuel from the huge injectors and firing the cylinders flawlessly.

It wasn’t quite as easy as it was killing the other guy a while back but nearly so.

The leader looked in the mirror and saw the other car’s headlights within 100 feet of the intersection, its driver stunned beyond stunned.

And so was Sally.

She loved the g-forces that the white car always wrought upon her, almost sensual in a way. But none of that pleasure was had this night…

She and Dan felt helpless as they watched the black car steadily and strongly pull away with what surely was a low 10 or even a high 9 second pass.

All they could see were the tail lights and the plate that ominously read -

ANNIL8R

To be Continued…

Very nice twin turbo'ed merc. Once again you're king of suspense. Part 5 coming?

Originally posted by menlatin
DUDE!! That was sweeeet!. Where can i get the previous 3??
yeah please post links! :) i wasnt expecting no merc...i was assumign it was a GN

tell me about it, i thaught the first 3 was cool when i assumed it was a gn but now that i know its a merc...........kind of disapointing. i was suspecting duttweiler or chris chow.